A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 08-09-2016, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

looking into 2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking into 2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro reliability

Hey there

I am new to audi/vw (Subaru family), but I like the looks of the a4 avant and was wondering about the reliability of the car.
The one I am looking at is at 68K.

Please let me know what y'all think ?

Link:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Thanks
-Simo
Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi's are high-quality, over-engineered German vehicles; reliability is not an issue as long as proper maintenance is applied to the machines.

To meet a number of high-performance design requirements, all Audi engines are "interference" designs in which the valves and pistons alternately occupy the same volume within the engine cylinders. The timing-belt is the means by which the movement of all of these moving parts is synchronized. Therefore, a timing-belt failure can result in a catastrophic collision of many expensive engine parts. As a result, Audi owners tend to scrupulously ensure that they schedule a timing-belt replacement every 70K-miles or so.

Given that the car under consideration is currently at 68K-miles, you really should get proof that the car has had a recent timing-belt replacement or you should make the timing-belt replacement a condition-of-sale prior to accepting delivery of the car.

Just a word of caution... ;-)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Reliability...

I've owned my 2006 A4 Avant since new and have not experienced any serious issues with the car. Oil change every 5000 miles with good quality oil is a must for oil cooled turbocharged cars like these. The link you show is a non-sports suspension 2.0T automatic and I've heard some people complain about the early auto transmissions (mine's a 6 speed manual). Other issues such as the cam lobe follower on the high pressure fuel pump wearing out have been reported as have some ignition coil failures.

Audi's are great cars, well engineered and becoming a lot more popular than they used to be...you'll be happy with one if you buy one.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Stick to the baru!!!!

Stick to the Baru! Trust me!! Ive had 2 Audis, and though I loved driving the car......... The new problem ever other week was not worth it. Trade some comfort and some style and stay in your Japmobile!!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had my 06 A4Q since new and no problems to date. Its been APR flashed since 900 miles, I have 62k now. Oh I did have one problem when my mother in law ran thru my garage door.... minor scratches on the rear bumper. Did I mention the door was down at the time...Geez
Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No problems whatsoever from my 07 A4, 58,000 miles. I think the reliability has improved significantly with the later models, even with high mileage.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SecSen
Hey there

I am new to audi/vw (Subaru family), but I like the looks of the a4 avant and was wondering about the reliability of the car.
The one I am looking at is at 68K.

Please let me know what y'all think ?

Link:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Thanks
-Simo
You will find a lot of what I call Audi Apologists that will say Audi is a over engineered car and that you should expect higher maintenance costs. Closer to the truth is Audi's Quality Control is pretty pathetic and nothing even close to what Subaru has achieved. They drive and look great. But the chances of getting one that will eat up your income at an alarming rate are exponentially higher than you will have with a Suby. If you get a good one then they are a wonderful cars. If you get a not so good one then hang on, you are in for a long love/hate relationship.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Speedy72t
You will find a lot of what I call Audi Apologists that will say Audi is a over engineered car and that you should expect higher maintenance costs. Closer to the truth is Audi's Quality Control is pretty pathetic and nothing even close to what Subaru has achieved. They drive and look great. But the chances of getting one that will eat up your income at an alarming rate are exponentially higher than you will have with a Suby. If you get a good one then they are a wonderful cars. If you get a not so good one then hang on, you are in for a long love/hate relationship.
According to my buddies at Consumer Reports, JD Power and Associates and True Delta, Audi's "pretty pathetic quality control" only applies to Audi models and model years from 1985 to 1990 and from 1998 to 2004.

Otherwise, Audi's quality control is very good overall-on par with (now far better than) BMW-which I now often refer to as BM Trouble You and Mercedes-now that Mercedes is good once again (and way ahead of Gaguar-err-Jaguar), again, according to my buddies at CR, JD P&A and TD (making it 100% official). In particular, the 2005 to present Audis are now ahead of some of the Japanese (such as the recent problems with Honda Motors and Toyota Motors vehicles).

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 02-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by crazycrash27
Stick to the Baru! Trust me!! Ive had 2 Audis, and though I loved driving the car......... The new problem ever other week was not worth it. Trade some comfort and some style and stay in your Japmobile!!
The only Audi models and model years that are problematic are 1985 to 1990 and 1998 to 2004. Other than that, Audi is fine in terms of dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service (particularly 20005 to present, which is not only excellent-or very close to it-but actually better than some of the Japanese cars-Honda Motors and Toyota Motors, anybody?).

All of the above is 100% official simply because my buddies at Consumer Reports, JD Power & Associates and True Delta say so.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RockyM
No problems whatsoever from my 07 A4, 58,000 miles. I think the reliability has improved significantly with the later models, even with high mileage.
Audi's dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service have most definitely improved by a significant amount with the later models regardless of mileage.

Quick Reply: looking into 2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro reliability