A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests

Has anyone with an 2010 A4 actually gotten the Stage 2 (i.e. rings replacement)fix under warranty for high oil consumption.

I have such a model, now more than 3 years old, and have gotten poor oil consumption since Day 1. I have made more than 8 trips to have the issue addressed, and so far gotten the Stage 1 repair.

My experience this week is typical:

Me: Since my scheduled interval service at your dealership 3 months ago, my oil indicator says I'm down a quart after 3500 miles. I think this excessive consumption, and not not much better than before all the times I have complained about it.

Dealer Service: Audi considers 1500 miles per quart as normal.

Me: LOL

Dealer Service: Well, bring it in.

Me: I don't want to waste my time if Audi is not going to do anything about it.

DS: The technicians have to look at it.

Me: They already looked at it multiple times. My question is whether they will do a Stage 2 repair for 1 qt/3500 miles. If not, I will just accept it.

DS: Stage 2? Repair? Let me look at all the service bulletins. I don't see anything. You have to bring it in.

Me: But you have been looking at this problem on my car for 3 years! But I give up and will bring it in.

Today at the shop:

Me: So, will Audi do a Stage 2 repair for 1 qt/3500 miles?

DS: According to Audi protocol, we have to drain and weigh the oil to determine what to do?

Me: What if it confirms 1qt/3500? At what consumption level will Audi go ahead with a repair.

DS: <<< repeat >>>

Me: You did the last oil service already. What is the point in measuring the oil consumption once again?

So I wasted an entire day while they top off the oil, and have to return in 700 miles for a remeasure. The dealer gets paid every time I show up (since I am under warranty). I am getting sick and tired of this nonsense. If Audi will not do a Stage 2 repair for less than 1500mil per quart of oil, just say so and stop wasting time and money.

Last edited by Bill T; 04-19-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a whole thing typed out but my computer **** the bed...

Bottom line: if you're not happy with it, trade or sell your car.
My '10 is no where near this amount of consumption.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I had a whole thing typed out but my computer **** the bed...

Bottom line: if you're not happy with it, trade or sell your car.
My '10 is no where near this amount of consumption.
Would you like to buy it? Plenty of 2010 A4 owners have indicated that their oil consumption is very high.

My question remains: has anyone actually gotten the Stage 2 repair (ring replacements)approved by AUdi?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill T
Would you like to buy it? Plenty of 2010 A4 owners have indicated that their oil consumption is very high.

My question remains: has anyone actually gotten the Stage 2 repair (ring replacements)approved by AUdi?
I believe I have read about 2010 and even 2011 cars with the piston job in the oil consumption thread on audizine.
Mine is stage 1 and my oil meter is two notches down 2500 miles since my last oil change.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill T
Has anyone with an 2010 A4 actually gotten the Stage 2 (i.e. rings replacement)fix under warranty for high oil consumption.

I have such a model, now more than 3 years old, and have gotten poor oil consumption since Day 1. I have made more than 8 trips to have the issue addressed, and so far gotten the Stage 1 repair.

My experience this week is typical:

Me: Since my scheduled interval service at your dealership 3 months ago, my oil indicator says I'm down a quart after 3500 miles. I think this excessive consumption, and not not much better than before all the times I have complained about it.

Dealer Service: Audi considers 1500 miles per quart as normal.

Me: LOL

Dealer Service: Well, bring it in.

Me: I don't want to waste my time if Audi is not going to do anything about it.

DS: The technicians have to look at it.

Me: They already looked at it multiple times. My question is whether they will do a Stage 2 repair for 1 qt/3500 miles. If not, I will just accept it.

DS: Stage 2? Repair? Let me look at all the service bulletins. I don't see anything. You have to bring it in.

Me: But you have been looking at this problem on my car for 3 years! But I give up and will bring it in.

Today at the shop:

Me: So, will Audi do a Stage 2 repair for 1 qt/3500 miles?

DS: According to Audi protocol, we have to drain and weigh the oil to determine what to do?

Me: What if it confirms 1qt/3500? At what consumption level will Audi go ahead with a repair.

Me: You did the last oil service already. What is the point in measuring the oil consumption once again?

So I wasted an entire day while they top off the oil, and have to return in 700 miles for a remeasure. The dealer gets paid every time I show up (since I am under warranty). I am getting sick and tired of this nonsense. If Audi will not do a Stage 2 repair for less than 1500mil per quart of oil, just say so and stop wasting time and money.
Consider yourself lucky and either live with it or trade it in on a brand of cars that aren't recognized as oil users. 3500 miles on a quart is better than normal and the dealer will not do anything. You should be able to live with 1 qt of oil between changes at 5000 miles.They all use oil so don't let anyone tell you different. You just have one that uses less. I just changed the oil in my Lexus yesterday and it didn't use a drop and was as clear as the new oil I put in. Next time you do an oil change look at the color and you'll see it's black and contaminated. It's a engine design problem. Consider yourself luck and just add the quart.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

i have 2009, got stages 1 and 2 done. completely fixed my problem. i only had to ask dealer to do it once. after that no questions asked. find another dealer. and while you're at it report your current dealer to AOA
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just got my car back from Stage 2 (2010 A4 2.0T 6-speed) From what I was told by them, Audi Corp policy has them required to do stage 1 and come back to the dealership after 700 miles to measure oil consumption. If it is still "high" unofficially more than 1 quart between oil changes (10k change), then stage 2 is performed. I literally just got it this week, so I can't comment on the oil consumption yet. From research, the stage 2 will decrease fuel economy by 1-2 mpg. Not sure about any performance change.

Good luck out there
'10 A4 Prestige S-line 6-speed
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chazertis
i have 2009, got stages 1 and 2 done. completely fixed my problem. i only had to ask dealer to do it once. after that no questions asked. find another dealer. and while you're at it report your current dealer to AOA
What was your oil consumption when you were approved for Stage 2?

Thanks.

(Yeah, my local dealer service has f'ed up on several other matters large and small. Unfortunately, the next nearest Audi dealer is 80 miles away.)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Honestly I don't remember exactly what my oil consumption was. I had them do stage 1 and they said afterwards if the indicator moved at all call them back. I took the car for another one week and the indicator dropped again so I brought it back for stage 2. I even mentioned to the service advisor about reading about the oil measurement and 700 mile test. He actually said they don't do that anymore. This was a little over a year ago.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I remember reading your thread about oil consumption so long ago. I'm surprised you still haven't gotten stage 2!!! That would drive me nuts

Quick Reply: Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests