Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Audi A3 2.0T Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A3 2.0T Oil Change

Hey All, starting a new thread, because my previous thread got overtaken by a totally unrelated conversation...

Our nearest Audi dealer is an hour away, and I've changed my own oil for all my cars for the past 30+ years, but this is my first German auto.

With some difficulty, I was able to find the filter online, bought it, and got the car up on ramps to change the oil. Got the skirt off, and, what the heck? There's no oil drain plug?

Sorry if I'm being a nube, but this thing is weird....the oil pan is plastic - and there is a weird plastic bolt in the back of it that I have never seen before - and I'm not sure if I should just use a screwdriver to loosen it, or what.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How about using an Oil Extractor that sucks the oil out from the Dipstick hole? I have an Oil Extractor and it's great. From what I've heard, Mercedes Benz uses that method for all Oil Changes.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess it is true that you need to the "Special Tools" to work on German cars.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An extractor is the only way any Audi dealer is changing oil anymore. (It uses a hose into the dip stick 'tube'.)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spoonie G, thanks so much for the suggestion! I went right on to Amazon and bought one.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did your filter change go? Any pics?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
How about using an Oil Extractor that sucks the oil out from the Dipstick hole? I have an Oil Extractor and it's great. From what I've heard, Mercedes Benz uses that method for all Oil Changes.
I change the oil on all my Audis. The 2011 Q5 is the easiest one yet although I still have to remove the belly pan. I prefer the plug as I like to take the time for that good old gravity drain. I would ask the dealer about this plastic plug.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I think I might have to agree with jeff968....my wife and I were both home this morning, and I thought that maybe I could get her oil changed quickly with the extractor....this is the one I bought:
Robot Check Robot Check
4.5 / 5 stars on Amazon, with over 300 reviews. Should be good. But.....
After two hours it only had about a quart extracted. She had to go somewhere, couldn't take my car, so I poured the old oil back in.
So I guess the moral of the story is that I'll have to let the extractor run over night, if I go that route. Really, I'm not worried that it won't get all the old oil - a few teaspoons of old oil mixed with 6 quarts of new oil won't harm anything....but who has 6 hours to change oil?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shadow999
Yeah, I think I might have to agree with jeff968....my wife and I were both home this morning, and I thought that maybe I could get her oil changed quickly with the extractor....this is the one I bought:
Robot Check
After two hours it only had about a quart extracted. She had to go somewhere, couldn't take my car, so I poured the old oil back in.
So I guess the moral of the story is that I'll have to let the extractor run over night, if I go that route. Really, I'm not worried that it won't get all the old oil - a few teaspoons of old oil mixed with 6 quarts of new oil won't harm anything....but who has 6 hours to change oil?
Maybe you need to let the engine warm up so the oil has better viscosity? :/
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow999
Robot Check
Not all Oil Extractors are the same. I got mine from Griots Garage and it sucked up the oil in 5 minutes. Also, the one you bought looks like the worst one you could have possibly purchased.

This is the one I have:
Multi-Fluid Extractor - Griot's Garage

Last edited by Spoonie G; 10-02-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi A3 2.0T Oil Change