Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Launch control??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch control??

Hi guys I'm new in the Audi world.

I have a 2009 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro with tiptronic transmission. I was going thru the owner manual and i saw launch control . I did everything the manual said and I sow some videos on the internet. But my Audi A5 won't go more than 2k when hold the brake all the way down and pressing the gas all the way down. Can you guys tell me if the model or year of my car have that feature?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Well, you can't have launch control with a tiptronic transmission. Proper launch control requires a semi-automatic transmission such as a dual-clutch transmission, so that the engine can be fully decoupled from the transmission and revved to the desired rpm and then the computer drops the clutch to take off.

The best you can do with a tiptronic is a brake torque launch, which is what you are doing. It basically revs the engine to somewhere in the 2000 rpm range to prime the torque converter while standing on the brakes and then you let go off the brakes and the car takes off immediately.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, you can't have launch control with a tiptronic transmission. Proper launch control requires a semi-automatic transmission such as a dual-clutch transmission, so that the engine can be fully decoupled from the transmission and revved to the desired rpm and then the computer drops the clutch to take off.

The best you can do with a tiptronic is a brake torque launch, which is what you are doing. It basically revs the engine to somewhere in the 2000 rpm range to prime the torque converter while standing on the brakes and then you let go off the brakes and the car takes off immediately.
Hi thanks for the reply.