Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thule Sonic XL on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thule Sonic XL on Q5

Purchased a new Q5 after down sizing from lager vehicle. Needed a cargo carrier due to having to travel with family dog. Decided on Thule Sonic XL in order to accommodate luggage for family of four. Drove a 600+ mile trip and I am very happy with the choice. No concerns with highway speeds between 75-80 miles per hour. Included some pictures in case anyone wants to see how the XL fits on a Q5. Only adjustment I had to make is lowering the opening of the back hatch, but this was minimum. I just wanted to make sure there was no hitting when open.
Attached Thumbnails Thule Sonic XL on Q5-img_2341.jpg   Thule Sonic XL on Q5-img_2342.jpg   Thule Sonic XL on Q5-img_2343.jpg   Thule Sonic XL on Q5-img_2344.jpg   Thule Sonic XL on Q5-fullsizerender.jpg  

Old 06-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks great.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice. How much cargo are you able to get in the Sonic XL? I assume 4 suitcases and various other items. My family is expanding and I was considering a cargo box like the Sonic L to help carry the stuff of two adults and a baby. Looks good.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Julio. I kept watching other peoples carriers during the trip, and I was pleased with how the Thule looked on the Q5.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MattMan3104
Nice. How much cargo are you able to get in the Sonic XL? I assume 4 suitcases and various other items. My family is expanding and I was considering a cargo box like the Sonic L to help carry the stuff of two adults and a baby. Looks good.
I was easily able to carry two full size suitcases and a carry on duffle bag with a little room to spare. I placed the suit cases long ways to fit in between the ***** that tighten the clamps to the roof rack. You have to be aware of the curvature at the side and the top, as well as the interior cross bars. I am glad I went with the XL instead of the L, the extra room was worth it. On a side note, the XL was also able to accommodate multiple 7 ft fishing rods.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks davtap. That's helpful info.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

My wife and I are about to move from east coast to west coast and I've been contemplating a roof unit like this one (also contemplating the Audi brand given that we have a $500 gift card). Two questions for you:
1.) Any concerns with parking garages? We're taking the long route across the country and will be staying in city hotels - read: parking garages - like Montreal, Chicago & Austin.
2.) What is your "method" for putting in and pulling out items? E.g. Open rear door, step on sill, etc.?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
My wife and I are about to move from east coast to west coast and I've been contemplating a roof unit like this one (also contemplating the Audi brand given that we have a $500 gift card). Two questions for you:
1.) Any concerns with parking garages? We're taking the long route across the country and will be staying in city hotels - read: parking garages - like Montreal, Chicago & Austin.
2.) What is your "method" for putting in and pulling out items? E.g. Open rear door, step on sill, etc.?

Thanks!
I have driven my SQ5 with Thule Dynamic 900
on top into several parking garages without a problem.

For opening and closing the box I take flat pack steps in the trunk rather than climbing on the sill but either works.

I also purchased the Thule 4 bag pack which consists of 3 large holdall bags and one smaller holdall which goes in the front nose of the box. They easily hold sufficient for 2 weeks travel for a family of four.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown

Thanks!
Nathan,

With the Thule XL mounted on top of your Q5 the total height is 7 ft 1 inch. I can't pull into my house garage with it on, but you shouldn't have any problems with parking garages, drive throughs, etc.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Do you have any problems with water getting through the front? When I was buyng the box I was almost set on Thule and read on the forums about front of it flapping and letting water in, checked at REI and surely enough looked like it could happen, bought Yakima and happy with it. Not advocating for either one, just asking. I wish I bought a bigger one though.