99 A4 FWD AEB 54K milesTB Tensioner failed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 A4 FWD AEB 54K milesTB Tensioner failed HELP

hi,

I am a regular reader of AW and the dreaded day came true.... today While going to the University (I am a Ph.D Student)which is less than a mile from my apartment some odd noise came from the engine bay.
As I was in a hurry to reach my lab, I didn't care but in the evening, I remembered the issue, came back and pinpointed as its coming from TB area and unscrewed the covers and to my horror the timing belt tensioner broke which is an old style one(rod type).

NO CEL, car Timing belt is in place but little loose as I can see (I know the car will start but dont wanna scr*w it more so, didnt even try)

when the sound was coming also the car ran fine which was like 30-40 mph drive from apartment to univ <1 mile.

My question is whats the possibility of the valves bending and other nasty scenarios.

I want suggestion from the experts

whether I should go ahead and buy the TBkit or test the engine before I put any more money on this?

Will there be any help from AoA?

Thankyou
Satish
Old 06-29-2007, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DO NOT START THE CAR!!!

You are very, very lucky! Chances are is that you did not bend anything. But should you attempt to start the car again, the belt may jump and then you would destroy the engine.

The engine would have stopped cold had the belt jumped timing.

I had the same thing happen to me and lucked out.

Buy the timing belt kit and install it. Before you start the engine, use a socket (19mm, IIRC)and spin the crank shaft to make sure that the valves and pistons are not trying to occupy the same space at the same time.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default w/ ertman. might even want to go as far as to pull of the head...

It's better to verify a bent valve before you just do a TB change and start the engine. A bent valve on a running engine could destroy your head which is not fun.

Also before you start spinning the crank to see if valves and pistons are meeting, be sure to check the position of the cams and the valves. Take it slow when you're spinning the crank and remove the spark plugs so it will move more freely and not build compression.

You're lucky, as you can see by my sig, i was not as fortunate as you and ertman.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Default AUDI COVERED IT: 99 A4 FWD AEB 54K milesTB Tensioner failed HELP

Audi is fixing it... local stealership gave me some trouble and asked me 4 hours of labor above what audi is covering... for the waterpump and thermostat replacement. quoted $640+ I said thanks and asked them to do 'only' what audi has already covered.

If anyguys are in same situation I will keep the documentation for some time you can contact me to get the copies. But no need as audi corporate is covering this issue well.. only problem is with the local audi dealer.

Thankyou guys for all your help. This Forum / My belief of 'information is power' saved me like $1000+ around. We can close this thread as the issue is solved.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn, that should not be more than a two hour job since they are in there anyway
Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: AUDI COVERED IT: 99 A4 FWD AEB 54K milesTB Tensioner failed HELP

Can you show me please where the thermostat is located on this engine?It is difficult to replace the water pump?Do i have to remove the radiator?Audi a4 1.8 T quattro dec -1997.Thank you!My e_mail s_le2002@yahoo.com