B6 Timing Belt Job: trouble all the way, crank bolt won't budge!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 Timing Belt Job: trouble all the way, crank bolt won't budge!

I have been engaged in battle with my 2003 B6 1.8T all day yesterday. I have seen posts about 6 hour jobs, so I am either challenged, or my vehicle is cursed lol.

I purchased a BLAU parts kit, which touted the virtues of their awesome instruction packet that came with their kit. It is A. not that awesome, B. not very complete. I would have purchased a bentley manual if I knew that these instructions were so sparse, but that is a whine for another day lol.

I have the special tool to hold the toothed crank sprocket while I try to back off this bolt but it doesn't want to let go.

I tried a 12 point 19mm socket, on a 1/2 drive ratchet, and a the handle off my jack as a cheater pipe and it didn't want to go. It did feel like either the fastener head or the socket was starting to strip!!!

I also tried getting my 3/8 drive impact in there, but all I had was a almost empty CO2 tank so I don't believe I am getting enough torque to bust it free.

I really wanted to replace the front main seal (crank). Any other tips to break this bolt free?

Is this bolt one use only any way? In that case I guess I am dead in the water since I don't have a replacement. I was thinking some heat might help, but I am concerned about damadging the bolt.

Also the instructions mention changing the thermostat, I didn't order one, had no idea it was needed during this install. Can I stay with the old one for now?

Ugh... next time it goes to the stealer!