COP Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COP Dimensions

Hi, I'm new around here. I have searched but can't find what I'm after.

I'm doing a project (non-Audi) and am hoping to use VAG Coils to help keep things tidy.

My problem is that I can't find any dimensions anywhere on the net, and don't have access to an Audi parts dealer kind enough to let me measure some.

The ones I'm after are 06B 905 115 (not sure if different suffixes have different dimensions)...

I'm after the following dimensions;
1 - (with a spark plug installed on the end of the "pencil") the length from the mounting face on the plug to the 3rd/4th rib (whichever is meant to sit flush with the top of the cam cover) on the coil.
2 - the maximum diameter of the coil up to the above-mentioned point.

Hope I'm not being too unclear...
Regards,
Chris
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM

the suffixes on the coils are for super-cessions on the coils. the "R" is the most recent coil. i however would not recommend these coils to use for your engine. they are notorious for failing at any given time. ask any audi owner with a newer a few and they will tell you the same thing. these coils are extremely unreliable.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by hippieguy
the suffixes on the coils are for super-cessions on the coils. the "R" is the most recent coil. i however would not recommend these coils to use for your engine. they are notorious for failing at any given time. ask any audi owner with a newer a few and they will tell you the same thing. these coils are extremely unreliable.
Interesting... is there no "more reliable" suffix out there (guess it's time to do a search on that topic...)?

I'd still like to know the dimensions of these coils if possible. Failing that, if anyone knows an alternative (must be COP with built-in ignitors (3-5pin normally)) and readily available, then please let me know.
Regards
Chris
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 AM

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I can't find an explanation as to why the COPs are failing - no clue as to whether it's a problem with the design or a problem with the way they're manufactured. Is it heat, vibration, a combination of the two, or something else which is killing them?

I think I might not have heat issues as I won't be using any covers over the engine, and there'll be pleanty of cold air moving over them. Not sure about plug well temps though. I'm not planning on running the engine to over 300hp (initially ~200hp) so I doubt I'll be anywhere near the temps experienced by some of the more monstrous engines out there...

Chris
Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM

i think it is the power output stage in the coil that fails. audi has had problems with them even back to the days where they were not integrated into the coils. if you are set on using audi cop then i would recommend the coils used on 3.0 and 4.2 engines. for whatever reason they seem to fail less often than the other style coil. as far as dimensions i would recommend going to a dealer close by vw or audi and buying one. they are not very expensive roughly $50.00 that way the you can measure any and all dimensions you want.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by hippieguy
i think it is the power output stage in the coil that fails. audi has had problems with them even back to the days where they were not integrated into the coils. if you are set on using audi cop then i would recommend the coils used on 3.0 and 4.2 engines. for whatever reason they seem to fail less often than the other style coil. as far as dimensions i would recommend going to a dealer close by vw or audi and buying one. they are not very expensive roughly $50.00 that way the you can measure any and all dimensions you want.
That's intersting that it's the output stage that's the problem... Sounds very odd given the reliability of other "dumb" CoPs.
My old flatmate was just down today - I asked him if he ever had any coil failures in his S8 ('02 reg) and he only had one, and that only happened because a spark plug was shot from the head... Off the top of his head they look about the right length, but unfortunatley he had driven down in his mum's Honda CRV, due to needing more luggage space (moving out of old place).
I'll try to measure one of the coils at a dealer - from what I'm hearing from here I'll just need to stand next to the trash bin for a couple of hours...
Chris