need Help Oil on the exhaust manifold, rough idle and no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need Help Oil on the exhaust manifold, rough idle and no power

I really am stuck and would appreciate any sort of feed back
I recently bought a 2002 A4 Quattro with high miles 122000.. anyway the oil pan was damaged quite badly and a loud knocking coming from top of the engine.
You guys had to see this Oil Pan.. I have never in my life seen anything like it. It had cracked and someone had tried to remove it with no luck, they had damaged 2 of the bolts so they decided to weld the pan together while it was on the engine and where they couldn't reach they packed with silicone.
So anyway I assumed if I changed the pan and the filter/screen inside the engine then the engine would be fine..
I removed the pan and the filter had a quick look around everything else looked fine put the new pan and new filter back on, the banging was still there so I changed the hydraulic timing chain tensioner at the back of the motor and while I was at it changed the timing belt, water pump, the 2 cam seals and the timing belt tensioner and thermostat... noise completely gone engine sounds amazing.
But now as soon as the engine warms maybe 5 minutes after starting it I have a rough idle, it idles between 900-1200 goes up and down like the old rotary motors. I also have no power going up hills it's like it is coughing and spluttering and I smell burning smoke and see a leak somewhere around the turbo and goes onto the manifold.
all of this is fine when the motor is cold no problems what so ever
Now I know my timing is definitely spot on and also the leak is not from the cam seals I actually changed them again I got genuine just incase the others were not good (they felt a little big when I put them on).. I also cleaned the area. the oil is definitely coming from either the turbo or a hose near the turbo, I don't think it's my oil return line but I will have a closer look tomorrow.
I had a mechanic run the diagnostics for me and I had 19 errors I assume most are old ones I mean with all the problems the car had I'm not surprised it doesn't have any more I have 3 faults which cam back straight away and I assume they have something to do with the way the car is running

-Fault code 13: 16497
Description:
P0113 Intake Air Temperature CircuitHigh Input

-Fault code 17: 17834
Description:
P1426 Tank Breather Valve -N80open circuit

-Fault code 1: 17956
Description:
P1548 Solenoid valve for charge pressure control -N75open circuit

The funny thing is I drove the car home when I bought it and even though noisy I really don't think it had the problem I have now. The oil on the exhaust manifold was definitely there but no loss of power
I really need help here would appreciate any input
Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: need Help Oil on the exhaust manifold, rough idle and no power

oh it's a 1.8T
Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default first thing i'd work on is the N75 valve....

this is your turbo waste gate controller and could cause all sort of problems.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: first thing i'd work on is the N75 valve....

How do I check it?
Late last night I noticed my evap canister looked like it has kind melted not too bad just on the out side would this have anything to do with my problem?
Like I said before this car has done real high Miles and I can guarantee that it has never had an oil change.. Oh except for when the emptied the oil to fix the Pan
I don't have any testers and I spoke to Audi they want 150 just to look.
Thankyou so much for your help JAFO I really appreciate it.
Oh and what about the leak what do you think that could be from?
I am also confused about whether I should attack the Rough and coughing or the oil leak first?
Any input is much appreciated
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that may explain the 17834 code.....

if things are melted you may have more problems. do a search on the A4/B5 forum for more info on the n75. you may want to find someone with a vag/com to do a full test on it but an ohm meter will tell you if it's shorted. look for melted wires and vac hoses. replacing all the vac hoses might be a good idea at this point
Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: that may explain the 17834 code.....

Hi JAFO
It's actually the check valve on the evaporative emission (EVAP) Canister that is melted looks like someone has held a lighter to it for a second not really that bad but I'm sure it should be replaced. it only has vacuum pipes on both sides no wires
I also noticed that the hose going out of the N80 on the left side as your at the front of the motor is kinda loose I can pull the hose out by hand.
I really want to attack my oil leak first do you think this is a good Idea.. also could my turbo be blown? how would I know?
So I wanna check the oil leak then I'm thinking I'll attack the n80 and n75 do u think this is OK or should I find the problem with the vacuum first?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK Good news I found the oil leak it's coming from the U shaped hose which is located at the front of the turbo
While I was taking the turbo out to check I noticed that I was able to pull out 3 of the vacuum pipes by hand.. NO tools at all needed I assume this is where my leaks rough idle and problems are coming from.

What do you think

Thanks so much again for all your help JAFO
Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bad news
I just took the hose of and realised it's a coolant hose, it looks like the oil is coming from the exhaust manifold could this be blow back from the engine into the exhaust?
The oil can physically be seen on that U shaped turbo pipe, there is no smoke out the back but I can definitely see it on the corner of the exhaust manifold right at the front could this be coming from inside my engine?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do a compression test
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: do a compression test

Just found a heap of oil inside my exhaust manifold, so I assume that my rings are gone, when I took the exhaust manifold off the nuts were actually quite loose saying that the oil does not match the color of my new oil it is black and looks quite old, could it of had been there from before?
If I was to put the exhaust manifold back on with a new gasket would I still get a leak and a burning oil smell from the front of the engine or a little smoke from the back?

Quick Reply: need Help Oil on the exhaust manifold, rough idle and no power