Nice little place.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice little place.

Anyone running a manual boost controller with their big turbo kit?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Alex just try it and log it
Old 10-27-2004, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It's been on (in parallel) since last night. :-)

I was maxing at 15PSI and couldn't figure out why. I was then told I was dialing in the wrong direction lol. I have it set to ~20psi I think. I'm going to do some more runs tonight to see where I am with it. I think my boost response in 1st and 2nd gear is slower but I'm not sure.

I'm probably going to experiment with it as a standalone too. This thing is pretty simple but cool.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

dude, just try it on it's own
Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default That will be tonight's experiment.

I was tweaking the settings but I wound up pulling back timing too much (10 degrees!).

I wanted to establish a "feel" for the boost. I think it spools more slowly with it in parallel.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parallel? Shouldn't it be in series?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I ran an MBC alone on my K03 for a while

Had it set to 20.. and boy did WOT feel great! :-D But, without running your N75 in parallel, the wastegate is either open or closed, so it's difficult to drive the car smoothly, plus even with a diode in the MAP sensor wire, you would still get throttle cut at lower RPMs with part throttle. (ECU: "Where'd this 1 bar of boost come from? I haven't requested it!")
Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I don't know. That's what I was trying to understand.

I am trying to get a grasp on the effects.

My thoughts of having it in parallel was that partial throttle would allow the N75 to do it's thing. The MBC would be restrictive and most of the pressure would be directed through the N75.

At higher boost the MBC would open once the set PSI was hit and prevent spiking while the N75 hit it's max duty cycle.

I need to think about the effects of having it in series. I initially believe that the placement of the components (which one is closer to the wastegate) would matter in this case. All of this is just speculation of course. I know I should just try it but I also want to think about it a little before I "fix what ain't broke". ;-)
Old 10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default That's definitely a result I have read in the archives...

there are two differences in our setups though which may or may not make a big difference.

1) I'm a non-DBW (no throttle cut via MAP)

2) I'm running a T-28 vs. K-03.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nope. (more)

running in series would be the same as running the MBC alone.. only difference being if you have your MBC set lower than your ECU requests boost, the N75 will be responsible for getting your max boost, and the MBC will just keep the wastegate closed below whatever it's set at.

When you run in parallel, you really should have a throttle cut circuit of some kind on the MAP sensor wire. What this does is allows you to get a maximum amount of boost without setting codes and/or getting throttle cut, but the N75 makes part throttle driving liveable with stock like control of the wastegate. In the parallel setup with throttle cut defender type circuit (diode), the MBC is only there to put a limit on the max boost made. If it wasn't there, the N75 would keep the wastegate closed because with TCD your ECU doesn't see more than x amount of boost (depending on diode used). This setup works well if the diode used reports a reading back to the ECU just lower than what it's requesting.

Quick Reply: Nice little place.