Odd chirping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
mcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd chirping noise

I have a '99 1.8T with about 124k on it. Mine happens to be perched in the front of a Passat sedan 5 speed. For a while, I've been trying to diagnose an odd chirping noise that rises with engine RPMs and only happens right after startup. It happens hot or cold but only after the car has sat for a bit. It can be heard clearly from outside the car or in the car with the windows open.

At first, it would go away the first time up through the gears but now it's hanging around a little longer (still goes away relatively quickly, however). It also happens after sitting a shorter period of time now (maybe 15+ minutes now where it was 30+ minutes), so it seems to be getting worse.

Other than that the car runs fine, apart from the common noisy/rattly idle.

I've replaced the cam chain tensioner to no avail.

Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Seem to emminate from the passenger's side front? Maybe the a/c belt ... try a little belt dressing

to see if it goes away. If so, replace that belt.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:28 AM
mcb

Default Hmm, belt?

I can't duplicate the noise without load on the engine so I can't really tell where it's coming from. To me it sounds more metallic than a belt and it is independent of weather, where belts seem to squeal when it's damp. I will check it out, though.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it a metallic rattling noise? Does it only really happen when you are off the throttle?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
mcb

Default No, it certainly sounds metallic but...

...I don't think I would describe it as a rattle. It's very regular and increases in speed with engine speed - if I kept increasing the rpm, it would probably eventually sound like a screech. It also goes away the instant I let of the gas and it doesn't happen in steady-state driving. It only happens when accelerating.

I do have a rattly idle, though - I'm figuring unrelated but you never know, I guess.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:59 AM

Default Any codes? Could be your catalytic converter

I had a similar sound, at idle first thing it would rattle, as the car warmed up at idle it would die down. Then on gas it would make it, off gas it wouldnt and I dont think it did it at steady state. I had a high flow installed on wednesday and that stopped the noise, when I looked in my stock cat the catalyst had seperated and was floating in there.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 AM
mcb

Default Nope

No codes - it seems to run fine. It really sounds mechanical, as the sound increases in frequency along with engine rpm. The reason we had the cam chain tensioner replaced was that we thought the sound was the cam chain slapping the valve cover. It turns out that that wasn't it but it really does sound like a chain slapping on the VC.

Also, it is unrelated to engine temperature - whether the engine is hot or cold, it happens after the car sits for a spell and goes away within 2 or 3 minutes.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK thought it may be your Wastegate rod rattling...common issue with this engine.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for torn DV diagphram
Old 07-08-2006, 08:31 AM
mcb

Default Re: Check for torn DV diagphram

Is that a shop job or a DIY?

Quick Reply: Odd chirping noise