P0420 NIGHTMARE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV

Guys,
I hv the same P0420 code about 2 years ago, I just changed the PCV, the engine light didn't come back until today.. I m going to change another PCV next week, I will update again after 1 month or 2 if the issue is resolved.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macgy
Guys,
I hv the same P0420 code about 2 years ago, I just changed the PCV, the engine light didn't come back until today.. I m going to change another PCV next week, I will update again after 1 month or 2 if the issue is resolved.
I'm wondering what the outcome was for this, I know it's old!
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (03-14-2021)
Old 12-28-2023, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infamous107
Well after months of battling this “p0420” code I FINALLY found a solution to get rid of the check engine light after replacing part after part associated with this code. I was about to give up and hand over 1400.00+ to the Audi dealership until I ran across one more solution. I started reading on information concerning an O2 spacer for the second bank. This spacer I guess, gives the O2 sensor a gap so that the temperature coming out of the aftermarket catalytic converter reads within limits and “poof” engine light be gone!!! So once again I have to thank this site on saving me about $700.00 and some change. Took me a little to figure this one out, but the cat was initially on the quits. So if you guys are on the same troubleshooting boat with this code and you have done EVERYTHING in its power, give the O2 spacer a try. I bought it for 23 bucks off a german parts website. Now awaiting my next check engine light troubleshooting issue…lol.
2008 Q7 3.6L with the same issue. Been chasing this for months now, after installing after market CATs. I tried the spacer thing on the Ox sensor, but it didn't work for me. Granted I had a host of other issues, come to find out. (plugs and coil packs constantly going bad every year.) Finally found an independent shop to replace the valve cover (gaskets) and take care of vacuum leaks. No more miss fires, stalling, or oil pressure light, or at least I thought. Car would stall out randomly with no CEL or fault codes. And One time the oil pressure light came back on again! And with that, the CEL as well! S1 B2 Ox sensor fault code, which was replaced with new OEM. This car is ready for retirement (190K).

So it seems I will have to drive around with an uninspected car with the CEL on until I'm willing to replace the CATs (again) with OEM CATs.