Problem With Cam/Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Cam/Timing Belt Replacement

Some one please help me out. I had to replace my timing belt after an unfortunate incident during the valve cover replacement. I will have pictures later. In short a 10 mm socket ended up in the timing belt area when the top cam cover was open for the valve gasket change. Thought it had disappeared in to one of those mystery spaces that dropped objects seem to go to. The timing belt got ripped the long way when car was started and turned off immediately so the remainder was still on the gears. I followed the details on many links and how to's and got the new Gates belt in replacing my previously changed now torn Continental belt. I had the old original belt that came in the car new with the marking the mechanic used and the marking on the crank gear were present after the 105k belt change. the old belt was in very good condition.After doing the marking and counting teeth (68) for Top dead Center, When I put it all back together over a few days, the marks did not line up when I rotated the crank gear the one or two turns. I did the long device in cyliner #1 to locate top dead center and it was ok. Not being sure, I took it all off and remeasured everything , the marking were good and in the right direction. Same thing happened when it was put back in. Nothing is hitting or binding and TDC on the camshaft, the screwdriver and the crank pulley match up but the belt marks come around six teeth off the first turn and 12 teeth off the second turn and farther on the third turn. Sorry for the long note but I want to give the best info for the problem. I have a 2001 TT Quattro 1.8 with 140k miles. I think I might be good to go but dont want any serious damage.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

did you count the total number of teeth on the belt?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: did you count the total number of teeth on the belt?

Thanks for reply. I moved this to the TT forum.
I counted the teeth totalling #68.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1780864.phtml">TT forum discussion</a></li></ul>