Turbo noise problem in longitudenal 1.8 (Passat)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo noise problem in longitudenal 1.8 (Passat)

Hi Guys,
I'm usually over on the C4 100/A6 side of the world, but I'm helping a gal with her '02 Passat.

She came to me with a turbo that made a metallic chirping sound, on acceleration only, and only when cold. After a couple minutes the noise couldn't be duplicated, unless the engine was allowed to cool down again.

She'd been to the local VW Dealer and they'd diagnosed it as a bad turbo and indeed, that's where the noise was coming from.

I ordered an "upgraded" rebuilt unit from www.gpopshop.com in Arizona figuring it would be a better rebuild at $625+shipping than the rebuild the dealer was selling for $810.

Installed it today, along with fresh Mobil 1 5w/30, the big oil filter (Bosch 72174) and a new Mann air filter.

Prior to initial start up, I'd filled the big filter full with oil, and then instead of just starting the engine, I cranked it and as soon as it started, I'd shut it off. I repeated this about 4-5 times to make sure there was oil pressure and oil getting to the turbo. Then I started the engine and let it idle for about 10min.

The "new" turbo makes more noise than the old one did! On acceleration, it'll do the loudest chirping, for basically as long as you are on the gas.

So educate me. Did I just get a bad turbo? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Oh, and yes, her old turbo had quite a bit of side-to-side play in the shaft. The new turbo spun fine by hand and had no play or noise....by hand.

Sorry for the long post. Wanted to get it all out there. I'm waiting for a call back from gpopshop tomorrow, but wanted to do some ground work tonight too.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Update:

Pulled the boot off the front of the turbo and the shaft has all kinds of side-to-side play. Looks like spec is .025" and I'm measuring .050" with a dial indicator. It also feels rough when turning the shaft/impeller.

So the turbo journal bearings have failed.

Checked for oil output from the oil pressure feed pipe and in about 10 seconds, at idle, it filled an empty 1qt oil bottle. Spec is 1/2 liter in 30 seconds, so I've got all kinds of oil flow. (I know the drainback pipe is open because I blew through that during reassembly.

I've talked to gpopshop and they are building another K03 Sport and it'll be in the mail today. Of course not without me paying in advance and then them getting this failed one back and examining it.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Update 2: Anyone have some advice?

Installed the second turbo today. The noise is still present! This turbo does seem to have real boost where the last one didn't, and the noise goes away after a couple minutes of driving. However, if I shut the engine off and leave it sit for 10-15min, it might do it by just reving it up briefly, but it will definately do it as I initially drive off and accelerate.

Only does it under acceleration.

Checked the breather pipe from the intake air boot through to the valve cover, it's open and I can easily blow through it.

Checked the front of the Cat to see if it was plugged and the ceramic looks perfect.

The diverter valve is closed/sealing properly.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Update 3: Fixed

Exhaust manifold gasket was leaking in the #3 and #4 area.

The manifold nuts were loose in this area (I didn't touch the manifold during the turbo R&R) and the manifold was actually warped about .009".

The escaping exhaust gasses were playing the 2 layer sheetmetal exaust manifold gasket like a reed.

I had the manifold surfaced, replaced the gasket and the noise is completely gone.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad you fixed the issue, and also sad to see how slow this forum is
Old 03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping for a little more action too, but hopefully this will help others.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Update 4: The refund process

Just wanted to do a final update to let folks know about the kind of service I got from www.gpopshop.com.

Sent back their "bad" turbo, which they had told me, "It can't be our turbo, we don't have problems with them." Didn't hear back from them so with $690 in the balance, plus return shipping, and a second set of gaskets, I decided maybe I should give them a call.

"Nope, we didn't find anything wrong with that turbo we sent you. Everything checked out within spec." Was their initial response.

"Really? Because I measured the side-to-side play at something close to .050" and from what I recall, max spec is .025". You sure about what you found?"

"Uh.....hang on a second......yes, you're right. There was too much clearance and the turbine had hit the housing. We'll be refunding the money."

"What about my labor and a set of gaskets?"

"No, we don't cover that."

Lesson learned and I won't be a return customer.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Update 5: The refund process continues

Got a call from Jim at gpopshop this morning and he's reconsidered the amount of the refund.

He's decided that they DO owe me a refund for the extra set of gaskets, and for me having to ship their "bad" turbo back to them.

Fair enough.