"Oil" In Trip Meter Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Oil" In Trip Meter Wtf?

IN my trip meter it keeps saying oil and i check it out and the Motor Oil is good..... dont they have another sign that says to check motor oil on A 1997 Audi a4 2.8?
well anyways it was correct yesterday the oil was short i filled it to the good point and drove it around and the "oil" Word went away.
this morning i turn the car and it says Oil i was like damn it and im here now with this to share to you guys. you think Motor Oil might be leaking?? or is the damn car Hungry for oil in cold weathers.

And the Gauge thing still happens it will turn off itself when the car is on and it would reset the trip metere to 0 miles but the speedmeter is still the same. this is wierd it cant be the battery or the car wouldnt start am i right? it might be something maybe inside of the Gauge cluster?? bad connection and the cold weather brought it up? well anyways any help will be great!!! thanx Guys

Edit : "Oil" in trip meter i found how to remove it for 98+ 2.8s but it dindt work in my 1997 anyone have a clue how to get rid of it?? people says its just a reminder to check oil if u havent already it does it like every 7k miles well anyone ever experineced with this??
Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Oil warning is an interval only. It doesn't actually check your oil level.

You need a VAG tool to reset it. If you're in MD, I don't mind resetting it for you. You may also see in1 or in2 there for Inspection Service 1 or 2. Same thing, just an interval and needs to be reset with VAG. You can temporarily make it go away by holding in the trip button but it will come back next time you start the car. It does stop after a few minutes.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ok thanx. I will go to the stealer ship and let them vag it will it be something like 99$perHour?

or is it a 5 second thing and be alot cheaper? or can i just disconnect my battery? and it will reset everything will that do the trick and do u know the other reason why my gauge resets itself in the morning??
Old 12-05-2003, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, for $70, you can buy an OBD tool from Ross tech

&amp; reset it yourself. My dealer charges $75 to do it each time. See link below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.obdtool.com/">http://www.obdtool.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-05-2003, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh yeah, It comes with the VAG program too.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

pretty cool stuff i seen one before but looks like i need to get a laptop b4 i get one of these.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:21 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That's NOT RossTech stuff and I'm not sure it comes with software either...

least not the same amount of software as ross-tech delivers. I think it's minimal software, ie; enough to allow you to diagnose/clear codes. Ross-Tech is good stuff and does come with software but I believe it's closer to $199.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oops you're right It's not Ross Tech, but mine came with VAG-COM software

It does just do small jobs such as clear codes, but it can be upgraded to the full version for $99. I only use mine for clearing codes &amp; diagnostics, so I just have the basic program. Sorry for the confusion, I just woke up.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your dealer charges $75 to reset that?!? WTF?

Talk about sodomy without the benefit of lubrication! It takes less than 5 minutes.

And, NO, that is not the RossTech vag tool. But it does work with the RossTech software. To reset the interval you'll need to buy RossTech's cable and software registration which is $199 for the unicom cable. Or you can buy the $70 cable from the site you listed and pay $100 for the RossTech software registration.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com">RossTech's website</a></li></ul>
Old 12-05-2003, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I retracted what I said earlier, but you probably were typing the same time as moi

Yes, my dealer charges 1 hr labor (hence the $75) just to do that. That's why I bought my own tool.

Quick Reply: "Oil" In Trip Meter Wtf?