*clunk clunk*

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *clunk clunk*

In case you remember me ranting about the clunking noise coming somewhere from the front suspension/steering/driveaxles, it's getting worse every day, and I'm not driving much. The rattling is becoming very pronounced on crappy roads. I removed again the wheel and attempted to reproduce the sound. Two things cause that type sound:

1. Rattling on the driveaxles causes a similar clunking noise.

2. Lifting the front wheel a little off the ground and prying between the ground and the tire causes also a similar clunk in the upper control arm ball joints. Also tapping the lower control from below with my fist causes a clunking noise in the upper control arm balljoints.

Again, the symptoms:

1. Occasonal RPM-dependent clunking noise at low speed and RPM. The noise goes away when I tap the brake lightly.

2. Lots of rattling when going over a rough road. Nothing on the undercarriage seems loose. I triple-checked everything.

3. One slight clunk when I tap the brake.

My best guess: Upper control arm balljonts are shot, possibly the CV joints are also bad. What to do... the noise is getting increasingly worse.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:24 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Sounds to me like a lower control arm, probably the lower rear...

tapping on the brakes would settle the ball back into the socket...

If your control arms are mostly old, you might as well replace them all if you can.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Take a look at your brake pads.....

It's a remote possibility, but I had similar symptoms when my brake pads delaminated from he backing plates.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/34363.phtml">My clunking noise thread</a></li></ul>
Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have you tried taking advantage of the recall inspection?

The dealer will go through the entire front suspension and tell you what's wrong, at no cost to you. My guess without looking is a failure in one of the lower control arms - which is why they have the recall going on!!!

If one of the control arm balljoints is loose enough to make noise, it is VERY shot. Have you ever seen a car with a failed balljoint? Get this inspected now, you don't want a failure on the Bay Bridge or going 80 mph.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Kris!

I've never had a control arm go bad, so I really can't fall back on any personal experience.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your symptoms sound almost like mine

Only my rattling is now more obvious when going over a rough surface. The brake pads seem to be perfectly in place and seem not be loose.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I surely will do that!

Total component failure wouldn't be healthy.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do this...

Jack the car up and leave the wheel on. Grab the top of the wheel and shake it in and out while watching the upper ball links. If they are bad you should see visable movement in them. So far, I've only had to replace one upper control arm and the ball was loose. You should be able to check the lowers in the same manner. Also check the boots to make sure they are not torn or cracked. If the lower boots are cracked, they should be covered by the recall. Also check the inner bushings for cracks. This will probably require getting on your back and under the car (make sure you use jack stands!).

P.S. the recall only covers the lower control arms and I'm not sure if they will inspect the uppers free of charge (will probably depend on the dealer).
Old 02-21-2005, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't notice any play

But if I pry the wheel upward I can get the upper control arms to make noise. At this point I see no other way than taking it in to the beloved dealer and to hope it's an at least partially covered control arm issue.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default kick your tires on and off the ground... magical reason within...

after I had my suspension installed and control arms replaced (2 birds, 1 stone) I had similar noises.

The rattle/clunk was due to two things:

1) my pads were loose in the carriers. you just put new pads on, right? Check them in the caliper and see if they're not moving around a lil. Also, check to make sure the spring that holds the front of the caliper is on solid. I've heard of that making a clunking sound when you tap the brakes (I have a similar noise from that) My mechanic was able to duplicate the sound by just kicking my tire at the top. Very distinct sound.

2) check your front sway bar links and make sure they're all tight. That was a source of a clunk when the car was torqued (going through a dip at slow speeds at an angle) or jerked from side to side (transferring weight from left to right basically).

HTH

Quick Reply: *clunk clunk*