1995 Audi 90 Quattro 2.8l Eng. Code AFC ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Audi 90 Quattro 2.8l Eng. Code AFC ?

Hello Audi Members: Down Below is the whole Story and nothin But The Truth.

I have read that a few of you have removed the oil pump a few times.

I have a bad oil pump that ran out of oil and seized up and stalled the car then finally the engine starts real easy. I removed the oil filter and there is no oil comming out with the filter removed when I start and run the car.

"Long story on how this happen it was a snow slushy night out in Michigan, I was driving just a tad faster than usual on bald tires and I lightly put the car parrall in the ditch. I should of called a wrecker and I wouldn't had this mess. I drove the car out of the steep ditch and it didn"t have the plastic oil pan guard on. The next day everything was fine I had to add a little oil because of a valve cover gasket. The car always had the oil light blinking and buzzing when I bought it 9 months before all of this.
So me and Dad discovered there was a fine slit in the alloy oil pan and it was loosing oil more than I thought. The car started to stall when I would let it warm up and sometimes I felt a light Drag on the car when taking off from stops. So one night I drove the Audi and the car stopped on me going down the Rd. at 40MPH, it wasn't like the car seized up and came to a skid it was like it lost power. So it stopped, it wouldn't crank over very easy to start. I checked the oil and there was just a hint of oil on the tip of the dip stick. Wrecker came and he put the jumper pack on it it started but it was dragging I could here the oil pump in the front scrapping as it went around. My question is when replacing the oil pump and the timingbelt water pump kit and everything else. DO I need to remove the front bumper covers, radiators, or just the cooling fans to make room to work? Me and my Father are preety sure the engine would be ok and the rest of the berrings as the eninge now starts with just a light crank over from the key, there is no more Drag on anything. So the oil pump starved for oil and destroyed its self and thats are conclussion so far. Whats your opinion on what I told you? Maybe you have some other thoughts if there was any other engine damage like crank bearings?

So basically I want to order a new Oil Pump and take apart both lower and Upper pans and be sure all metal shavvings are gone also.

I apprecitae you taking the time to read this and any other opinions that you may have on my situation. The engine has 153,000 miles no rust, it just needs all 4 brakes done, 1 front wheel bearing, and both strut inserts done. I have worked on VW's for over 20 years and a few Bimmers."

Thanks very Much for any help or opions before I start working on this.

Duane Cummins (MI)
E-mail: Duanevw2003@yahoo.com
Phone: (989) 944-5097
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry, but i didn't feel like reading your life story. if you got metal shaving in your motor and you ran it without oil, you just killed you motor! congratulations!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
sorry, but i didn't feel like reading your life story. if you got metal shaving in your motor and you ran it without oil, you just killed you motor! congratulations!
Dear Crazy Russian,

I'm sorry for writing my post so long,

I have no Shavings as far as I know, I just wanted to point out what happen and a 2nd opinion.

The AFC Engine turns over great and starts right up with no oil pressure at all due to the oil pump went bad.

It still had some oil in the engine but I believe the oil pump chewed itself up do to lack of oil and stalled the motor that night.

So I just wanted to order the parts and the locking tools and go from there.

Sorry for writing so much on it as I just wanted to point out what happened from the beging.

None of this would of happened if I had seen the small slit in the oil pan.

Thanks Crazy Russian for any other inputs.

This is a very nice clean 95' 90 Quattro Sport and everything else is like new on this except brakes and front struts and one front wheel bearing.

Duane (MI)
Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you can try the oil pump and just pay attention to the oil pressure gauge. it should not go down pass 1.8-2.0
Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure if you resolved your issue yet, But you should check the pickup tube, they like to collapse on itself leaving no room for oil flow