2.8 Upgrading Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8 Upgrading Mods?

I have decided to start working on my 2.8 12v audi a4 and was wondering what my first mods should be (i.e. exhaust , cams, headers, intake....etc.) also i was wondering is it possible to get just as much if not more performance out of the 2.8 12v than the 1.8t.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default none of the above. search through our forum for threads relating to "Abnormally Aspirated"...

and a user by the name of "UrS4." His mods are your best starting point, which include mods for your stock airbox, bored MAF, 3" diameter induction hoses, custom built intake sleeves, and a beautifully crafted (bored, sleeved, P&P, full meal deal) Throttle body.

His stuff is expensive, there's no doubt about it. But you definately get results! If after all his stuff, you still feel you want more power then it's time to look at exhaust (hi-flo cat(s), maybe improving the run somehow), the intake manifold, or even heads. 262 or 272 cams are a popular upgrade for 2.8L engines.

But seriously, get into the Abnormally Aspirated stuff first.... when all those parts are together, they are the best bang for your buck.

check yah later<ul><li><a href="http://www.abnormallyaspirated.com">Abnormally Aspirated</a></li></ul>
Old 01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
JWG

Default In terms of max power, I would say no. Turbo charged cars . . .

have an advantage due to the nature of the turbo itself--you can tweak the turbo to create a lot of hp while keeping the car smog compliant.

Not that turbo charged cars have no weaknesses; everthing in engineering is a trade-off. The more top-end hp you have, the greater the turbo lag. Thus, you lose a useable bottom end when you make big hp.

You first have to decide on your goal in terms of what you want your hp and torque graphs to look like. Where does the power band start, how rapidly does it ascend and fall, where does it peak. Most people only look at peak hp and quote it as the end-all. Any race car driver will tell you that the narrower the powerband, the more challenging a car becomes to drive. Look at BMW, Mercedes, and other engine manufacturers who run in F1. Both BMW and Mercedes (and possibly one other team) have more powerful engines than Ferrari; yet, Ferrari has won the the driver's and/or constructor's championship seven or so years in a row with a less powerful engine. Why?! They all run 3.0 liter V-10 engines. Well, peak hp usually does not count for **** when the cars run so close; it's what the powerband looks like as a whole that determines a car's performance on a particular track. If you design an engine that performs better overall on more tracks than the other guy, you win!

With UrS4's stuff can easily make up to 200 hp with minimal mods--just intake mods up to the point of the intake manifold and an electric fan kit. Up to 230+ hp with moderate mods--ported intake manifold, ported heads, headers, exhaust stuff. However, after that, you likely need to do some more sophisticated stuff to bring it to 250+ (UrS4 has begun to work on a very exciting timing advance kit, if you read the forum).

You will go faster with a 1.8t, but the power band will differ. I have made my 12v an absolute joy for my 500 mile/week commuting purposes. Normally, the chipped and modded 1.8t guys with a K03 that I have run against usually cannot keep-up off the line and through the tight and twisty canyon and mountain roads behind my home. A K04, or other large turbo, on a long straight--that's a different story. Once they build boost, they make a lot of torque and hp very quickly and leave you in their dust. To each their own!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

gimme quicky accel &amp; good pedal responce cause i LOOOooooOOOooOve twisties =)