Blaupunkt Delta Radio Lock Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaupunkt Delta Radio Lock Up

Purchased a '97 A4 2.8 in March 2002... Love the handling, styling, appointments, etc. and would like to be a committed Audi fan and purchase a 2000 - 2002 S4 once children's college tuition is paid, unless discretionary funds suddenly drop into my pocket. Well, had a problem with the ignition switch (which was expensive and will not be detailed here) which required that the battery be disconnected. Yes, Blaupunkt Delta TA CC went into "SAFE." Read the trusty manual and went through the unblock procedure. (You should note that sometimes the radio is "locked" before any attempt to unlock is tried; thus, requiring the one hour wait.) The manual had two codes on the Radio Card: one crossed out and the other on an attached sticker. All too patiently tried both codes over the course of a day without success.

Called the original owner and learned that when he replaced the battery, the radio locked up and would not respond to the code. He was told by the dealer that this sometimes occurs requiring the purchase of a replacement radio. Naturally, he was quite upset and took up the issue with Audi America, believing that this was a known defect that should be covered by warranty - not covered he was told. He sucked it up and purchased a new OEM radio so as to keep the look original. This explained the two codes. (By the way, in addition to being on the Radio Card, the original code was on a sticker under the trunk mat as well.)

The radio worked perfectly prior to the battery disconnect; thus, the "lock up" is not related to radio abuse. Is anyone familiar with a work around for the code? I do not want the expense of replacing it.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No workaround that I know of, and I asked dealer

Like your previous owner, I had to replace the radio on my '96 when I installed a new battery, dealer had a "reconditioned" OEM radio for ONLY $225! This is not an uncommon occurance, the next radio (new one is starting to get flaky) will be an aftermarket unit.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default FYI, there was/is a recall on the ignition switches,

at least on the '96 models, perhaps you can get reimbursed? Contact Audi of America.