Brake pads gone, should I also get new rotors ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads gone, should I also get new rotors ?

My brake pads are gone, but my rotors seem still quite good. Should I just get the rotors cleaned and put on fresh pads?

I am thinking PBR Metal Master for the pads..I also have a choice of PBR Ceramic.

Do the Ceramic need more time to warm up?
Which would be better for (quite spirited) street use?

thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

The front rotors have only 1 mm per side wear limit, so you probably need new rotors as well.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ahh, ok thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the PBR ceramics, dont expect any less brake dust compared to OEM. If anything they might

dust a bit more.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I heardx that too, so I am going to go with "PBR metal master" ...

they are suppose to have a bit better bite and less dust...

I am tired of cleaning my wheels every two weeks..OK I don't but if I wanted clean wheels I would have to do it every 2 weeks.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i bought the ceramics thinking that they'd be the best ones, i dont think they're better than the

OEMs, but when u hit the brakes they do slow you down quick with less of an inital bite.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tempting, but I will be happy if I can get less dust, and

better than OEM stoping distance. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for cleaner wheels, if it will be better then OEM any way.

thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 10:39 AM
JWG

Default If you want less dust, go with Mintex Red Box or EBC Greens . . .

Mintex Red Box are a great less-dust OEM equivalent. Basically, they have the same bite, same longevity, but no "black death" on the wheels after 50 miles.

I really like the EBC Greens in terms of dust, and they have a much improved initial bite over OEM. But, they definitely work best with smooth rotors.

Slotted rotors can cause the EBC Greens to hot spot the rotors. I personally suffered this problem when I installed ATE eliptically slotted rotors on my fronts. However, this occurred with the old forumulation of the EBC Greens. There exist two new EBC Green forumulations that supposedly fix the overheating problem with the old forumulation. I am eager to try them on my Audi's when it comes time for new pads.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just when I though I knew what I wanted...

I did a lot of searching through the archives and I got the impressionn that most people did not like the Minex Red Box.

EBC Green had a good opinion and so did the PBR Metal Masters..

So my initial decision to go with the PBR MM was that the shop I go to, has a supplier next door and I can get them on as soon as I find time to take my car in...

The 3 things that I am looking for (in order):
1) better braking then OEM
2) less dust then OEM
3) not too expensive
Old 08-28-2005, 12:31 PM
JWG

Default Most people do not like the Mintex Red Box, because they wanted better performance . . .

The Red Box do not give noticeably better performance than OEM, but, when it comes to dust, they really make wheel cleaning about 90% easier than stock.

Regarding EBC's new Greenstuff compounds, I found the following information:

EBC 2000 GREENSTUFF VR4 compound is designed for street use on sport compact and muscle cars, and is a premium non-asbestos organic formulation using man-made aramid fibers such as Dupont Kevlar® or Twaron® without inclusion of steel fibers or carbon particles which cause DUST. This triple award winning formulation has a full FMVSS rating grade, more friction than most aftermarket and original pads, and will deliver noticeable braking improvements. Compared to most semi-metallics, these pads offer 80% DUST REDUCTION, and better stopping power.

EBC GREENSTUFF ULTRA for German and Swedish built vehicles has been specially designed to accommodate the very large single piston caliper systems that are used on these vehicles. The multi piston systems used on most Asian and US built cars use lower profile and longer pads, while the Ultra series have a taller profile and are "wide band". Recent tests in the UK at the MIRA research track have shown that this material gave higher deceleration values, shorter stopping distances, and lower disc temperature when compared with OE material. The major purpose for offering this compound is to eliminate brake judder with single piston systems used on German and Swedish cars. This product is not, however, a low dust material having similar dust characteristics to OE pads. If dust reduction is required use Greenstuff VR4. Customers should choose-standard Greenstuff for normal driving with low dust, or Ultra for use under fast driving conditions.

Quick Reply: Brake pads gone, should I also get new rotors ?