Brake squeal has returned . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake squeal has returned . . .

Have a 96 2.8 A4 Quattro. When I got the car the brakes squealed horribly with the stock brake pads. After checking around the forum, I narrowed my decision for brake pads to either EBC Greenstuff and Hawk HPS pads. I went with the Hawks HPS pads, as several members complained of warped rotors due to overheating Greenstuff pads. The Hawk pads were awesome until I put about 3000 miles on them. Now they squeal just as bad as the stock pads. Are the early A4's cursed with squealing brakes or have you guys found a way to cure this? Or, could the problem be that the Hawk pads were not bedded in correctly? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:13 PM

Sand them. You need some kind of bed-in time about 500 miles.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What about some high temp brake grease?

Just put some Plastilube or some other anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads...
Old 08-21-2003, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 500 miles!

After putting new pads in, step on the brake real hard a few times (with the car standing!), then the pads should have settled. Then go easy on the brakes for the first 100 miles or so. That should do...
Old 08-21-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Re: 500 miles!

Hmm . . . I'll have to try the grease on the back of the pads. Dont know whether the shop did that or not. I always do my own car work but havn't had a garage to do it in over the past year. That will be my first task upon moving into my new house in the next few weeks. I figured they were settled in cause I didn't have any squealing period till I hit the 3000 mi mark with the new pads. Also I've got the Hawk pads on all four wheels. The rear pads do not squeal period. For some reason it just seems to be the front. Any other suggestions let me know. Thx!!
Old 08-21-2003, 07:26 PM

My front 2 squeal on my '96 2.8Q as well, less than 1,000 miles on them!
Old 08-21-2003, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They started squealing after 3000 miles?

How annoying. It could be caused by humidity!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Audi Tech Bulletin #97-01 addresses brake squeal for all disc brakes. Here is what is recommended..

-Use only Plastilube Moly3 high temperature grease, P/N ZVP 264 103 (Audi P/N).
-Using a power disc-type sander w/ 80 grit sanding disc, sand CW direction on each rotor brake surface to achieve a cross-hatch pattern.
-Deglaze and clean face of brake pads w/ sandpaper as necessary (Comment: N/A for new pads)
-Slightly chamfer (bevel) edges of brake pads with a file.
-Apply a thin cost of Palstilube Moly3 high temp grease to the back of the brake pads.
-Clean brake pad carrier contact points & apply a thin coat of Plastilube to these points.
-Clean caliper piston-to-brake pad contact surfaces and apply a thin coat w/ Plastilube...
-Reinstall barke rotors.
When assembling brake calipers, apply a thin coat of Plastilube grease to all spring contact points.
-Reinstall brake calipers and wheels.

I haven't tried this procedure, but will use it when I install my Pagid pads on my '96 A6 FWD Avant.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Brake squeal has returned . . .

The lube is the way to go. Brake squeal generally has nothing to do with the braking surface of the pad. It's vibration of the metal to metal contact points between the caliper and the pad.

With respect to bedding-in the pads, that shouldn't effect whether or not it squeals. Bed-in procedures generally involver a few or several heat cycles to condition the surface of the pad and prevent glazing. The heat cycles are accomplished via a regimen of stops from predetermined speeds. The pad manufacturer will usually have a recomended procedure. Alot of times it's not really necessary with general purpose street pads, but high performance pads will require a proper bed-in.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:10 AM
JWG

Exactamundo! Done it numerous times, it really works!

Quick Reply: Brake squeal has returned . . .