Can a bad oil cooler gasket cause oil in coolant and vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a bad oil cooler gasket cause oil in coolant and vice versa?

I've recently had just about every gasket in the car replaced, oil pan, upper and lower, valve cover, etc etc. The only thing not done was the head gasket, but the shop checked them at the time (2 months) and all looked fine. When I checked my oil there was a significant amount of coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant. I think it might be the oil cooler gasket, but wasn't sure if that actually causes the coolant and oil to mix or just oil loss. In my last 12V when I had a bad headgasket oil was in the coolant but not the other way around. I've searched and couldn't find the exact answer. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There's no "gasket" in the heat exchanger separating oil/water. However, while rare...

the heat exchangers can and do sometimes fail internally allowing crossover contamination. But it's still F-A-R more likely a head gasket. And there's no way a shop can visually "check" a head gasket without pulling heads which requires new head gaskets. No one can just look at where the heads mate to the block and say "yep, head gaskets are good!"
Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ya, I figured as much.......

The only other thing that drew my attention to the oil cooler is the fact that I can clearly see that there is a small leak that drips off of the cooler.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The thing to remember also is the tragic chemistry of ethylene glycol which errodes engine bearings
Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default "usually" tho not always that type leak is from loose clamps and/or failing hose...

sometimes there's enough excess hose to cut a 1/2" off and re-clamp. I've replaced mine for similar reasons. And if memory serves at least one of those coolant lines can be replaced with standard heater hose instead of the SPENDY Audi hose. Maybe both... I just can't remember.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What do you mean a shop can't check a head gasket....

You can to a cylinder leak down test and see if the coolant starts bubbling. If they can't do that at that shop then either take it somewhere that can or start with the much cheaper part, the oil cooler. I have seen 3 or 4 oil coolers do this before.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whoah there pardner and holster those chrome Colts!

No one has said there's "no way a shop can check head gaskets."

If you'll read the post "closely" it clearly states the following:

"And there's no way a shop can visually "check" a head gasket without pulling heads which requires new head gaskets. No one can just look at where the heads mate to the block and say "yep, head gaskets are good!"
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "where the head meets the block"

Sounds rather medieval. ;-)

Just saying hi, Mance!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default "where the head mates to the block" but it's the fall into the basket that's gotta hurt...

just not for long. I've always believed, and still do that they see & feel that drop since consciousness has gotta linger for at least 5-10 seconds, if not longer. Creepy way to go.

Hi right back atcha Mori! Got your own "Mori is the oil guy" site yet?

;-)
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I shudder at the thought!

I'm still working on getting BIGOT out of the picture. ;-)

Quick Reply: Can a bad oil cooler gasket cause oil in coolant and vice versa?