Changing the timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the timing belt

I have a questions.

I am currently changing the TB, Water Pump, etc on my 96 cab.

my question is how do i achieve TDC? i have the tool to line up the cams, but I dont have the tool for TDC.
Is there an old school method i can use with the recources i have, i.e a socket extension ?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hmmmm.... not to long ago, i remember a post from you were you told us that you have the tools to do a TB job on your car... get the required tools for the job and stop screwing up your car!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
hmmmm.... not to long ago, i remember a post from you were you told us that you have the tools to do a TB job on your car... get the required tools for the job and stop screwing up your car!
I have not begun work on my car yet, i apologize for the similar postings, all i am trying to do is my TB with limited tools and money. I live in a small town where audi's are a rariety, meaning I am limited on a few things. I had to order the tool for the cams of ebay...

I would appreciate some help rather than critisism. Im not trying to be cut corners. if that was so i would have slapped on the timing belt and learned that way..

my point, without the tool for tdc is there any way i can do this??
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i have 2 of them, make an offer
and no, you cant.

Last edited by CRAZY_RUSSIAN; 02-09-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not having ALL the tools strikes fear and horror into even highly experienced DIYers such as the Crazed Ruskie. Me too, and I'm fearless! (joking) Get over to 12v.org and read all the info on changing the timing belt. You NEED the cam holding tool, the TDC pin, a good small gear puller, some allen sockets to break free the allen bolts on the vibration damper (can't remember the size), a torque wrench, a six inch long allen socket to remove the block drain plug 'cause you might as well replace the water pump while you're there, a host of metric sockets and extensions or an extra joint in your arm to remove and install the TDC pin, colored tape to mark which fan wire goes where when you remove the fans. The hardest part of this job? Before you remove the vibration damper bolts, set the allen socket in the bolt head, and tap it with a hammer to set it. Attach the wrench and then quickly and forcefully snap the wrench to break the bolt free. If you slowly turn the wrench you will round out the allen head and then you are really screwed. My opinion, of course. Buy new bolts, too.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i use the lock tool to take the bolts out on the dampener, i head one strip out last time i was in that area.... was that a nightmare (2 days latter, bloody knuckles, lots of Russian and English curse words and a ton of cigarette buds, i got it out) went to a hardware store and purchased a new set of hardened bolts. Usually you don't have to take the radiator off, just remove the fans out of the way and you'll get plenty of clearance. do check out 12v.org as they have an excellent wright up on there
let me know if you need that other tool