coolant bleed issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant bleed issues...

So I am having trouble bleeding the coolant on a friend of mines 12v.

1st, let me explain how I go about bleeding the coolant. this method has worked for me dozens of times with no issues, until now...

I fill the coolant as much as I can with the upper bleeder screw open...I then(cool engine turned off) I then proceed to blow (yes with my mouth) into the coolant reservoir until all the bubbles stop coming out the upper bleeder screw, just coolant coming out. I then close the upper bleeder screw, let the car warm up..wait for T-stat to open...this usually sucks a bit more coolant in, i top up as necessary and open the upper bleeder just a pinch to let any remaining air come out.

So that being said....

I am trying to bleed the coolant on a friends 12v that just had the T-belt and W-pump done....

I do the above method, but when I blow in the coolant reservoir...air comes out the upper bleeder screw but NO coolant it drained out of the reservoir? no matter how long I blow (and I close the bleeder in between breaths to keep air form being sucked in) I can not get ANY coolant to leave the reservoir.

Same thing happens with the car running...no coolant is taken in from the reservoir???

Could there be some kind of blockage??? I am super confused.

I talked with the owner and he is not sure if the T-stat was changed with the water pump (I know, not a good idea ).
another thing is that the rad fans NEVER come on?? when I turn on the A/C switch the fans come on...so the fans work, but are not turned on via temperature.

Please contribute here and lets get another 12V back on the road!

P/S The heater core is good, brand new... actually bypassed for this bleed so the heater core in no way can affect the results.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps the P/O can uncover the actual T-stat history? See also reply at QW.