Doubts on fuel additives/ injector cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doubts on fuel additives/ injector cleaners

After trying to get some info on Bardahl I decided to go with a VW product sold in Brazil. (Volkswagen AG 2000)
I SUSPECT it is the Autobahn ZVW239003 mentioned in this forum several times.
What concerned me is that while I read mentions in the web that Autobahn may be used in every tank in the case of the product there are clear restraints:

1. Use ONLY if REQUIRED (thus NEVER every time...)
2. Never use twice with the same engine oil. (as it wil affect the oil)

I wonder: Is this the very same Autobahn and VW/Audi became more restrictive in relation to the frequency of utilization, or, I used some hard stuff - thus completely different ?

It is hard to me to understand how, given that the fuel path is so far from the engine oil, the OIL itself may be contaminated by the additive in so small proportions.

I use an outstanding gas and this is just preventive. I plan to repeat it in two years.
Another doubt: Is it true that Autobahn is Techron ?
Thanks for your feedback, Jorge
Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default While I can't tell you who makes the Autobahn product

... all aggressive fuel system and injector cleaners can damage seals and pastic components with frequent use. I would use those cleaners only once during an oil change interval and only before an oil change. These cleaners do get in the oil via blowby and none of them is lubricant. Also, these cleaners loosen mostly carbon, which is an abrasive substance and you don' want that in the oil. The Autobahn product may well be Techron, but it could be a LubroMoly product. VW might source the cleaner from different makers in different countries. Techron appears to work well, but it tends to fould at platinum plugs in the 12v, as I found out myself. Red Line S1 fuel additive works very well and may be available in Brazil.

There are fuel system/injector cleaners that are not aggressive and that can be used in a maintenance dose with every tank of gas. The most notable would be <a href="http://lubecontrol.com/form.htm"> FuelPower 60</a>, which is also an upper cylinder lubricant. Not only does it help clean and keep injectors clean, it also lubricates the fuel pump and the valve train. I have been using FP for the past 3k or so miles with every tankful, and it appears to work well. As an added benefit, gas mileage has improved by 1-2 mpg on average. Whether or not this gain ofsets the cost of the product is questionable, but keeping the fuel system clean and the engine uppers well-lubricated seems worth it.

In general, if your engine runs on high quality gas all the time, I recommend you use a fuel system cleaner only near the end of an oil change interval.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Doubts on fuel additives/ injector cleaners

I read an article on the web about adding a small quantity of 2stroke oil to your fuel. Very interesting about how it lubes the fuel pump, injectors etc. I tried this on my 98 V6 Hardbody and I noticed a differance in the sound the fuel pump made.

Unfortunatly I can't find the link with all the scientific details and article. Try Googling
Old 09-22-2005, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Marvel Mystery Oil is the only thing

I have found to be safe, but I also only use it about every oil change. I have tried others, but I have never had any problems with using Marvel Mystery oil in any car that I have put it into. From my Alfa Romeo Milano, to my 5.7l Chevy, to the Audi.

I also don't think its that aggressive when compared to the other stuff out there, its also been around forever.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've used that in the past, too

I also tried the Lucas UCL (upper cylinder lubricant). I doubt that either one of those has enough solvency to clean carbon deposits efffectively at low concentration. Both do however make an engine run smoother and quieter. FP 60 seems to do all MMO and Lucas UCL can do, with the added benefit of improving gas mileage marginally.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fill up with Chevron Premium gas, and get Techron with every tank! ;O)

As Techron is already added into Chevrons Premiums. ;O)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Thanks for the RICH information, what I will do, from now

on is to keep one eye on which international brands are available here.
The idea of using the aggressive stuff in long intervals and just before changing the oil is great.
Also, will try to locate here a "soft drink" to focus on permanent mild lubrication/cleaning.
I don't have any cost concern, as my mileage is too low.
In fact this is the root of the issue.
As for now, I will make a little trip and this tank will soon be gone. I am sure the engine will benefit from the VW stuff.
Thanks again to you all. I've just mastered as an additive doctor...
This forum is quite a tool !!!!
Jorge
Old 09-22-2005, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe its the way it burns?

If it emits toxic crap when it burns, it would purge its harmful way back into the crankcase through an EGR system and contaminate any oil it comes across. Which in time may be harmfull to steel or aluminum. Makes sense right?

Maybe its some tough stuff. There was a brief period when VW/Audi were using Wynn's crap, possibaly because it was cheap, weak crap.. I have a botlle of all purpose Autobahn cleaner and that shyt will peel paint off of a buick!