First gear called in sick today

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First gear called in sick today

Firstly I own a 96 A4 with an automatic transmission.

Secondly I'd like to apologize for posting a transmission problem in the engine section but though since this is a mmore specific and technical thread I might get better answers than in a general thread.

I was leaving my ice covered/snow drifted driveway like any normal winter morning (about 8 inches of snow) my back tires met the road which had more traction than my driveway. I felt a medium to large bump (kinda felt like a manual gearbox popping out of gear but a bit more harsh). I let off the accelerator when the bump happened for a few seconds and let the car idle down. When I pressed the accelerator again I had no power at all to the wheels. The engine revs fine and all is well except no 1st gear(I assume). I can however get power if I manually put put the car in second gear with the automatic transmission selector. Once to a decent speed I can put the car in drive and it will drive normally. Once I reach a stop again I have to put the car in second gear manually and repeat the process. Is first gear MIA or is the car just not shifting into first gear?? Any insight would be helpful. THanks
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bear in mind this is an engine development forum and not the "engine section" for any...

particular Audi model as the 12V engine came into the U.S. with 3 separate/different engine codes and 5 different chassis models, ie; B4, B5, Cabriolet and two C-chassis models, ie; A6 and 100. This forum specifically caters to the 12V Development needs/wants of ALL those cars. Your question would likely receive more answers and better quality answers from the A4 forum than here as the A4 is only a fraction of the 12V Development forum's membership and A4's with auto trans only a VERY small fraction of those. Usually guys that get involved in engine development, regardless of engine tend to shy away from automatic transmissions which will likely make this an even less responded-to post than it would be at the appropriate forum.

Doesn't bother me seeing this post here but I don't believe you've posted it at the best choice in forums for getting a good or even qualified reponse. When posting about automatic transmissions I personally believe you'll have dramatically better luck posting where the "most" automatic transmissions are. You "might" get lucky here but it's an odds-on bet the answers you seek will be better provided at the A4 forum. Even a manual transmission post here would likely be answered more correctly/accurately since many here know their way around those with varying degrees of familiarity.

And PUHLEEEASE accept this in the spirit offered... I'm not trying to run you off or dismiss you or your transmission problem but rather only answering your post in the best way I know how that will get you the answers you seek. And when/if you ever have a 12V engine problem or want to know how to get more power from that engine, well we'd be delighted to see you back here.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bear in mind this is an engine development forum and not the "engine section" for any...

You're response is appreciated and understood. I posted the same message in the A4 section earlier this morning and it had received more input. Thanks for the reply.