Fuel issues....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issues....

I finally took the car for a spin today. After filling the fuel tank, it started acting weird. It took a couple miles but it started not responding when I pushed the gas. After a few more minutes, I had a CEL and the "Antilock Off" light was on (no clue if there is a connection). I was trying to nurse it home and almost got there when the fuel guage started dropping fast. It said I had lost 1/2 a tank in about a mile. The temp guage was really low, too. The only real leak I could find under the car was at the pas side wheel well. I think the carbon canister may be up in there, behind the plastic cover.

I'm guessing that I may have the fuel lines connected down below in the wrong order. I had to replace all three last night after I found a serious leak where they turn upward near the cat's. I'm going to check the Bentley CD. We'll see what I get.

Based on the symptom's, what are your thought's ???
Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

same as yours, your fuel is in the charcoal canister...
Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've searched my Bentley cd and came up with little in the ...

way of info on the fuel lines that run under the car. All I could find was a drawing of the tank and associated parts attached. Nothing shows them as they are mounted under the passenger area. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ill be watchin this thread, keep me updated with what you find as your problem.. ive had this problem with my 90 since the weather has gotten warmer. its kinda like it is building up too much pressure in the tank and has nowhere to go. try releasing your gas cap and see if gas comes out? or if it makes noises?
ive replaced the purge solenoids, charcoal canister and gas cap.
one of the P.O's of mine swapped the metal lines for gas so im going to try swapping those out this week as well as the hoses from the canister to the engine bay.
ive posted threads on motorgeek and vortex about this and havent really gotten anywhere with the replies ive got, im glad im not the only one that has this problem though, no offense.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bumpyj
ill be watchin this thread, keep me updated with what you find as your problem.. ive had this problem with my 90 since the weather has gotten warmer. its kinda like it is building up too much pressure in the tank and has nowhere to go. try releasing your gas cap and see if gas comes out? or if it makes noises?
ive replaced the purge solenoids, charcoal canister and gas cap.
one of the P.O's of mine swapped the metal lines for gas so im going to try swapping those out this week as well as the hoses from the canister to the engine bay.
ive posted threads on motorgeek and vortex about this and havent really gotten anywhere with the replies ive got, im glad im not the only one that has this problem though, no offense.
I will swap the two lines in question tomorrow. I'm betting that is the only problem. As I was starting to work with them, they started to break off and I didn't keep them in order. Only two broke off so I know for sure the third is correctly matched from front to back.