Help with oil system problem....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with oil system problem....

TIA<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/364269.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/364269.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm, I think you went over all possibilities...

He's got oil in there, right? ;-)
Old 05-08-2006, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Help with oil system problem....

Reading through all the posts on the thread it seems to me that there was and maybe still is (if the noise still persists) an air lock within the oil pump/system. Based on my own problems with my oil system I would say that the pump is cavitating - sucking just air! I found that on startup giving the engine a quick burst of revs will help the pump spin faster and therefore improve the suction. Apparently this a common situation after an engine rebuild and often leads to a mechanic replacing a non-faulty oil pump. There is all kinds of methods to avoid cavitation including filling the pump with oil or packing it with a oil soluable wax.

The reason for a hot cylinder head and cold sump may be due to the fact that the heat you feel is generated by friction of the cams against the journals and followers, the aluminium heads will soon conduct this heat to the valve covers. No heat on the sump/filter is also an indication that oil is not moving beyond the pump. Having the oil pump warning disconnected was unfortunate as this would of been an early warning that oil was not moving past the pump.

I fear it's not valves you're looking at but bottom end bearings if you've let the engine run for too long without oil pressure. You could be lucky, an oil pressure gauge will determine this.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Add oil, over fill motor by 4 quarts and oil level will be up to the pump.

The pump will easily pick up the oil. let it run at idle till warm (if it builds oil pressure). The lifters will take up to 20 minutes to pump up and purge air.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Have you ever over filled your engine, by 4 quarts?

Over filling the engine with oil can have bad effects on the engine...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Drastically overfilling will result in the crank beating air into the oil, producing foam

... which doesn't lubricate well. Not to mention large quantities of oil will get via the PCV system into the exhaust and ruin the cats and O2 sensors.

As long as the oil pickup is immersed in oil, whic is the case with the oil level at the minimum mark, the oil pump will get primed and function properly.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Drastically overfilling will result in the crank beating air into the oil, producing foam

Re: "As long as the oil pickup is immersed in oil, whic is the case with the oil level at the minimum mark, the oil pump will get primed and function properly."

-You would think wouldn't you, but I've witnessed my AAH oil pump simply not suck oil up through a brand new pickup/strainer/oil pump with a full 5 litres of oil in the sump. Both gauge and oil warning switches gave a warning and showed 0 oil pressure. The oil warning sensors are located in the passage just after the pump, removing these there should of been a fountain of oil shooting into the engine bay but nothing. It's a mystery to me. I found by making the hole in the pickup larger to give a greater area in which to suck oil up made a difference.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:01 AM

Default running without oil pressure is worse

if you let it only run at idle (as I said) foaming is a minor issue as are breather issues.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:28 AM

forgot to add last sentence, (Then correct the oil level.)
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Original poster wrote....

he's run the engine several time, for several minutes.

So it sounds like he's got oil pressure, but doesnt have means to measure/indicate.

Without oil, we all know what would happen to the engine, after several minutes...

Quick Reply: Help with oil system problem....