Holy Shiznit, removed the MAF screen...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "mine ran fine without it" mentality???attitude???

Here I read your posts, very informative, and you say the removal of the MAF screen "you're gonna throw a CEL".

I'm simply writing, my 1993 never has!

No mentality, no attitude, simply stating "fact"!

Why mine doesnt CEL, could be due to the mods?
Could be somethings FU?

But you take my post as an attack on your credability? Its not why I'm here, Its not what I'm about! How you people gather "attitude" from typed words, simply amazes me.......
Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whoa there... I don't feel attacked or put off. Just can't understand where the...

"mine never did that" comes from or the potential good that can come from it or even the appropriateness of such a statement considering the apples/oranges comparison between our cars upstream of the MAF.

If I over-reacted, I'm sorry but you're a difficult man to read sometimes. And you do come off occasionally as a little arrogant, condescending and pious. Please understand I'm not saying you ARE those things but some measure of those traits is high profile, chronic and recurring here. It's evidenced by several recent examples. Maybe it's a limit of the written word instead of personally conveyed. Without benefit of tone, inflection and body language people are hard to read correctly. And your people skills here are at-times short, curt and are perceived as insulting.

I like you, love many of the things you've done to your Audi and for the most part the way you help people. I've learned from you. And truth be told, under all the snipping and differences we're going thru now still feel we're probably a lot more alike than unalike. But GAWD you're hard to take sometimes!

Just like me!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll pull mine and run around a week or so or untull I get a code.

We'll see what happens.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:42 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Dave. Don't you also run a cone filter with internal velocity stack?

I'm only referring to the stock airbox without the MAF screen installed throwing codes. Yet put an airhorn/velocity stack inlet in top of the air box, immediately in front of the screen and the codes disappear.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just ran up 130 miles on it.. No CEL's...

The thing runs like a crazed freak. I have had a lot of work done to the car, cams, blausprot TB, cowl induction, exhaust, etc. This make a HUGE difference.. No lies.. I only wish I had access to a dyno so I could post the results. But no BS here, it made a HUGE difference in my application. Even my freind riding shotgun used the oh **** handles. Smoked a 328, pretty proud about that.. pretty proud indeed. (and I am still runing the snows, WR's) Can't wait till Wednesday when my ES100's come in.. .

I'll keep everyone here up-to-date with any new findings or issues. I am sure the initial sensation will fade in the next.. SEVERAL WEEKS!!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:53 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ryan, are you running a stock airbox or cone/aftermarket system?

And if aftermarket/cone system is it a cone with integral velocity stack? And is the velocity stack located directly in fron of the MAF. Sorry for the barrage of questions but I'd like to keep a running inventory of code/no code situations and the sytems those are associated with.

Thanks,
M
Old 03-31-2003, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nothing stock here...

My intake is actually where the battery used to reside. I have made a custom setup very similiar to the TDL racing intake. I had a custom bracket machined and it connect to the MAF, anf then my K&N canister fits directly to that. (Not sure if that make sense). The intake require a 4" hole cut through the first firewall (or what ever taht is called)

Make sense?
Old 03-31-2003, 08:09 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default In your layout you mention a K&N cannister. Is that what others might call a cone?

And if so does it include an integrated velocity stack within the filter? Or if you don't know do you have access to a K&N part number? And how far is the base of the K&N from the MAF inlet (where the screen was earlier today).

Glad you're having fun! Aint it great finding significant cheap ponies!?!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Free Ponies are AWESOME!

I am not running a stack, a canster is very similar and it is part number RU-2820. Not sure if that help or not, but it is a HUGE filter. I had to do a lot of custom trimming of the drip trays (that the water off the windshield drains through) and the filter really sits on top of the AC lines that enter the cabin. If that makes sence.. I wish I had digital camera....
Old 03-31-2003, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

forgot to mention, the filter connects almost directly to the MAF.

Quick Reply: Holy Shiznit, removed the MAF screen...