i guess i spoke too soon high pitched screaching sound coming from back of engine..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i guess i spoke too soon high pitched screaching sound coming from back of engine..

sounds like it is just under the tb area but its soo loud it is hard to tell exactly where its coming from.. and it has again a very rough and idle and there is almost no power.. ilimped the last half mile home.. everything was fine for about 20 miles today and on my way home after exiting the freeway where was on for 3 miles it was shaking and whining and almost would not even move away from the stoplights..sheeesh.. i did a quick video when i got home.. my wife could hear it from in the house.. any suggestions? the cel did come on but i cant read them tonight.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUV_61z3oE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUV_61z3oE</a</li></ul>
Old 10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It sounds like a mechanical fire alarm!

That can't be good. Never heard anything like it. I hope it will turn out to be nothing too horrible...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default atleast there isnt any smoke..

it sounds bad.. i plan on taking the intake stuff back off and seeing if i can see anything or if anything is lose or missing or anything.. dont know otherwise..
Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Does it change as you rev the engine?

Rev engine a little and listen, could be a 'squeal' from under TB or hose or otherwise. If it goes away as-soon-as-decel, then gets louder as vacuum rises, you might check pressure lines or TB. If it does sound like a leak and culprit is difficult to find, take a couple feet of hose and stick one end in your ear, then navigate under the hood towards the leak.

Hard to hear the exact noise from that vid, can't even hear the engine run!
Hose leak would explain the rough idle as well...

Else, I'm clueless. =D
Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default after taking it all apart i noticed the spot..

where the hvrs goes into the last 90 degree had come out some so i was losing everything there.. not a clue what the noise was exactly but it was freaking loud and high pitched. so i put it all back together and pulled the power off battery for a bit to reset cel and its all good.. i had clamps on all of the other joints except this one and the one that connects directly to the tb. NO wonder i had no power as it wasnt getting any metered air so it would not give me fuel i bet or something such as that.. but wow freaked me out.. guess what i am doing in the morning.. after i put it all back together i took a 20 min drive and everything was fine.. looked at it all once i returned and yep it had started to slip out again so i deff need a clamp there.. DOH lesson learned if you can clamp it clamp it.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad you found it!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes me too..

my wife was going to let me use her car tomorrow..i dont mind driving her jeep liberty but i prefer the audi as it way more fun to drive unless your 4x4ing
Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The noise was the gasp of doom!

A breath of fresh air was the last this engine needed! ;-)
Old 10-30-2008, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

any idea what the noise was actually?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Air squeezing out / in... Perhaps like a balloon when you make it squeal..

Quick Reply: i guess i spoke too soon high pitched screaching sound coming from back of engine..