I switched back to the Beru Ultra-X UFX5.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I switched back to the Beru Ultra-X UFX5.6

I swear there is a noticeable power gain over the hotter UFX7.9.

This means I'm done experimenting with spark plugs. All in all I'd recommend the OEM NGK BKUR6ET10 as the best all-around choice. If you drive like a nut (me), if your fuel is sub-standard, or if your engine makes more horses than stock, you may feel the Beru UFX5.6 will give you a marginal edge in performance. I can't yet comment on the longevity of the Beru spark plugs.

I also used one bottle of Techron injector cleaner for one tank before I switched the spark plugs. I wanted to see if the Beru plugs would show the same fouling I got when using Techron with the Bosch +4 spark plugs last year. I saw no signs of any fouling in case of the Beru spark plugs. I give Techron a thumbs up for use with the Beru plugs.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can attest to the Techron...I used religiously every 3k and my 4+ were shot.

good to know about the beru 5/6, I just could not find them....Maybe I didn't look hard enough. I figured the Denso's run cold so they should serve the same purpose.
And I don't think your crazy about the gain, I definitely thought I could tell a difference. when I went from my 4+ to the Denso...but then again my 4+ were SHOT.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Gain seen was probably just because of new spark plugs

Any time you change maintenance items, the engine will tend to run better, so that is probably why you felt a difference in power. It just brought the performance back up to what it should be.

At least, that is what I think probably happened.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re:Where and How much?

Where did you buy them at and how much for the Beru Ultra-X 5.6
Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The previous Beru were only ca 2k miles in the engine...

If you had been on this forum a few months ago, you would have seen my thread in which I mentioned that I perceived a distinct power drop when I switched from the UFX5.6 to the UFX 7.9. Meaning your theory holds no water.

Also, since Beru recommends the UFX7.9 for cars running on Euro-gas, it makes sense that the colder plug will perform better with the lower quality US fuel.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Local shop, about $8 per plug, if I remember correctly
Old 12-16-2004, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Even idle performance differs between the UFX7.9 and UFX 5.6

The UFX7.9 is a hair smoother and. while the UFX5.6 results in slightly higher RPM and a slightly "throaty" sound. The engine pulls noticeably harder with the UFX5.6. Fuel economy, or rather lack thereof, seems unaffected.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where can you feel the dif with the 5/6 ?....

I don't know what the difference is but with the new plugs in almost exactly at 4k RPM it's like I get a shot. At first I thought it was my Gas pedal since I generally shift right around 4k and as I would get ready to shift there is a boost, and not one I could achieve by stepping on the gas either. I'm guessing it is the cross over kicking but such a noticible difference??? what do you think???...and nothingis blocking/hindering the throttle linkage.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Throughout the RPM range

... the motor seems a bit more responsive with less lag when I step on it.

The kick you feel must be the intake manifold switchover occuring. When driving sporty, I shift way above, when driving lame, I shift before that point
Old 12-16-2004, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I don't have a vacuum hose problem, thats the way she is huh.

Quick Reply: I switched back to the Beru Ultra-X UFX5.6