IM Workshop: Completion of IM top half and re-assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:43 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just the facts...

wish I could put my hands on Alcoa's white paper on aluminum heat dissipation. They clearly said the opposite of what you're saying. That in fact a black anodized part was capable of 8x times quicker cooling. They further gave the example that a water cooled radiator of aluminum was more efficient if painted with a light coat of black paint than if left raw aluminum and the efficiency was markedly increased if anodized "black" but costs would likely prevent it. Most radiators they produced for the OEM market were also painted black for efficiency. As are many AC condensers. One has to be curious why any automaker would go to such added expense to paint a product that doesn't suffer many corrosive ails with a light coat of black paint if there wasn't some extenuating/contributing factor. Money to burn perhaps?

facts, just the facts. Take it up with Alcoa, I'm just the messenger.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Re: the intake charge is not pre-heated but closer to 10-12 degrees below ambient...

UrS4 and all

The IM is cool, feels cool, because someting has cooled it. Otherwise it would be as hot as any other part under the hood. The IM is cool because it has given up heat to the inlet charge. This is not what is wanted. Let the IM be hot as hades as long as no heat gets to the inlet gas charge. That is what you are doing with the glyptal coating on the underside. IF the insulating value is there, the IM should measure HIGHER temperatures because the insulation has prevented the heat from making it's way to the intake charge. Cause and effect need to be understood.

I hope this exchange helps the cause.

CalG
Old 06-08-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Just the facts...

UrS4 and all

I would like to see that paper, if you run across a reference please post it. Im just going on first principles and considerations. I don't have a testing lab. Real world experience is worth many times the value of some calculations.

Help me out, I have not been paying attention. Do the big boys on the race tracks paint over the light weight alu radiators (Coolers actually, as conductance to air not radiation does most of the work) for both water systems and air intercoolers?

I like these discussions for they allow the opportunity to consider the options.

Regards

CalG
Old 06-08-2004, 12:08 PM

Default This guy has ideas on the subject.

I like his outfit!

CalG<ul><li><a href="http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/1513/">http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/1513/</a</li></ul>