Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold

hi guys..i own a 97 a4 12v fwd and heard that if u port the intake manifold and get an upgraded tb u can gain up to 25 hp. So im looking for a person that wants to sell a ported intake manifold ( preferably one that mance had worked on) thats if they still exist.. or if anyone knows of a good machine shop around the orange county california area that knows how to work with audi manifolds let me know..i tried emailing mance to sell me or make one for me..but he never responded..i tried using his new email too but nothing

thnx guys!!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 PM

make it 2 but i live in NJ
Old 02-06-2007, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mance doesn't port and polish manifolds as far as I know, only does t-bodies and MAFs.He...

did write an extensive how-to workshop on this forum if you wanted to port and polish your own manifold, it's an excellent and detailed article.
I just had him do my throttle body and it's damn impressive just the gains from that!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's true and if he did they would run over $3k as each one is 100+ man hours to do

and over $300 in consumables, ie; flapper wheels, carbide burs, lapping/honing wheels and polishing buffs. What with the epoxy-filling/smoothing all the plenum voids and recesses. Then CCing all 12 runners to within one drop liquid volume is agonizing! And then 2-3 coats of Glyptal. If I NEVER do another one it'll be too soon!!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IM workshop...

<ul><li><a href="http://edsaudi12v.com/audi/imworkshop/">http://edsaudi12v.com/audi/imworkshop/</a</li></ul>
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I sent you an email about a week back. Hopefully it made it through your filters

I am interested in some of the 12v intake parts. My email is brent.davis @ williams.com.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I heard about the infamous "Mance email filters" mebbe thats why...

I cant get a hold of you.

I also inquired about some parts, TB, hose kit, MAF, etc. My email is sean@rtuning.org
Old 02-07-2007, 07:07 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Only intake parts available from him are VS's, S3 MAF, and XTB series throttle bodies...

for the 12V engine. There's no hose kits, recovery sleeves etc. I was out of state for over 2 months due to a family crisis from Thanksgiving until recently. My email cache was impossible to sort thru with over 7,900 "Audi-related" emails upon my return. I gave up on trying to respond due to sheer volume feeling like phone calls, if it was important people would "call back." Sorry but let anyone try to sort thru and respond to just under 8k emails when most are asking for things I never made in the first place. After 9 hours I had made it thru less than 200 responses to those emails. From those responses I had over 100 follow-up emails from people I answered, from those over 50 more. Only 7,700 to go? And out of that sub-200 initial replies, 100 follow-ups and 50 2nd follow-ups not a single order developed! No way, I dumped the email cache!

Most of my stuff today is "Vintage Audi Performance" and related to suspension on Pre-B5 chassis cars.

And, BTW Mance does not now nor has he ever had as one poster said above a "new email address." I only have one and have had it for over 18 years.

Now, wanna start over?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:09 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Demographics: A follow-up to the above post

After writing the above post I became curious as to my sales demographics vs inquiries received for the last 3 years. I have software that tracks/records this but I almost never use it.

Throttle Bodies: In 2004 I sold 1 throttle body per every 14 throttle body inquiries. In 2005 I sold 1 throttle body per 39 inquiries. In 2006 I sold 1 throttle body per 464 inquiries.

S3 MAF: 2004 saw 1 S3MAF sell per 8 inquiries. In 2005 I sold 1 S3MAF per 31 inquiries and in 2006 I sold 1 MAF per 380 inquiries.

If history is any indication and current trends continue I will answer emails this year for right at 1,000 "tire kickers" for every MAF or TB sold. At that rate this could well be the year both items are dropped from the line-up as "just not worth it" same as hose kits and recovery sleeves in the past. Far far too much work-to-sale ratio. And anyone who believes answering a thousand emails to get a single sale isnt "work" should walk a mile in my shoes sometime. Takes longer to answer 60 emails than to "make" a throttle body! Longer to answer 30 emails than "make" a MAF! Do the math! At that rate I'm making less than 1/4 of minimum wage if replying to emails is factored into every sale.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Probably has something to with the downward movment in price of these cars and the age of the owners

most high school and college age owners want big performance improvements, but don't want to spend much money for them. some of them don't even care about the performance. they just want it to sound cool. so they go looking for the $20 ebay intakes.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold