Looks like I screwed the pooch pretty good here on my coolant bleeding...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I screwed the pooch pretty good here on my coolant bleeding...

Well, I finally figured that it was time for me to do some work on the 'ol 12v.

To do list:

-Drain and flush coolant
-R&R coolant temp sender on radiator
-install EFK thermostat
-Install AAH cams
-Install AAH cam covers

Let's just say, I didn't make it too far. I pulled the front of the car off and got to the radiator. Drained the coolant from the radiator, then drained the block. Everything is hunky dory.

Then I go to refill the reservoir with fresh water and start the flushing process. I fire up the motor and then open up the valve on the radiator. Water is flowing... good. I then go to open up the bleeder on the hard coolant line. It strips!!!! I take a breath and try a different approach. I hammer a torx bit in and get a real good bit... and it stripped to!!! At this point I'm cursing and swearing like a sailor. I then try to hammer in a larger allen and notice that the coolant tube has now collapsed No way for me to get a dremel in there, vice grips, drill, nada... so the hammering was my only option, and it failed me miserably.

So I spent another 2 hours pulling the IM out (not the end of the world cuz I have all the gaskets and I need to R&R the valley pan gasket cuz it's leaking pretty good right now) and getting the whole coolant line out. What a PITA!!! I have one on order right now from Force5, so hopefully it'll be in by the middle of the week... we'll see though. And got the necessary o-rings ordered from the dealer, so we'll see.

Guess I"ll take my time and do the cams and covers now, and the EFK thermo... but what an f'in waste. I was so pissed off I couldn't even see straight... but live and learn I guess. In hindsight, I should have warmed the engine up and gotten the coolant hot and then loosened the bleeder (more than likely got torqued too much when my mechanic bled the system and when cold it was in there for good). I was able to get the bleeder out with a pair of robogrips after I got it off the car, but I'm not comfortable putting that tube back in the car now that it's collapsed like it is. That's just asking for it in my book

Not the way I envisioned starting my week... file this under the "DIY gone horribly wrong" category.

hopefully by the end of the week I'll be good to go though, we'll see!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:20 AM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will be allright
Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Dont't you just love when a job goes terribly wrong....

Happened to me too, what a learning experience.
Grab some popcorn and listen to my story...

Was changing motor mounts on a Pontiac Fiero (long time ago). In order to get to a last mount (it is always the last one) I had to bend a coolant line *slightly* out of the way. What a dumb idea: coolant line cracked right on a weld and green stuff started to spray right on my face. Now, this was Sunday evening - the best time of course for something to go wrong.
Fortunately, my father in-law (God bless him) had a friend welder who came and brazed up the crack.
Regardless, I still have nightmares about this one...
Barty
Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, I did a desperate call to Chris at Force5... I think he was laughing pretty hard

once he got off the phone with me. I was sounding pretty aggitated and flustered. And he picked up the phone even though they were closed... i appreciated it at least.

So here's hoping. I'll start working on the other stuff so once that shows up I can drop it in and move on. I'll make sure to break the bleeder screw free BEFORE I put it in though... lol.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Default These things happen and we learn the most from them.

I have been down that road before when a job goes terribly wrong. I can tell you it is always those jobs that challenge us and make us better DIY mechanics. I have respect for you because you did not give up and have it towed to a mechanic or dealer. You have stuck with it and will fix that bitch! So, you will prevail over this minor set back and will come away with more knowledge on the specific job so as to avoid again or help someone else who is going through that very situation. Don't get down on yourself or your luck. Life is a test..it's the way you go about your resolve that matters. Sometimes we just can't imagine the possibility of these obstacles that may lie in front of us. That is all.
J
Old 03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds like my weekend. Broke a bolt off on my Valley pan R&R

Thank god for easy outs!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks for the motivational speech ;)

I def was looking at it going... am i really going to have to take this to a mechanic? Then I looked at it more and figure, f' it I can get this. Of course, the entire front end is off the car and the front end is in the air, so it'd be kinda hard to tow it anywhere

I shall conquer, fear not... it's just gonna take me a lil bit longer, that's all.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default dear lord why did you have to say that :-P

I sure hope I don't run into THAT issue... that'd be insult to injury there
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

where did you break it ? so as to be more careful there..?

Quick Reply: Looks like I screwed the pooch pretty good here on my coolant bleeding...