Mobil is changing their lineup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDEO's can usually be run easily 10k miles in gassers

TBN (measuring remaining ability of the oil to neutralize acids) remains higher with HDEO's compared to oil for gas engines. Only a UOA and TBN retention test will show whether or not an oil is still good or already bad, or how much longer it can be used.

Anti-wear additives and detergents don't make oil break down faster. VIIs (Viscosity Index Improvers) are what can break down in oil, leaving sludge behind. Group I and II mineral oils need more VIIs than hydrocracked Group III and III + oil, which in turn contain more VIIs than synthetic Group IV PAO or Group V ester oils. Some estyer oils do not contain any VIIs, like some Red Line oils.

While high content of metallic anti-wear additives can be problematic in gas engines (cat poisoning), a look at the VOA gives usually clues as to whether or not a particular oil is suitable in a particular engine.

If you want to talk to people, some of who are actually tribologists, chemists, and lubrication engineers, you can do it <a href="http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi"> there</a>. A few of those pople actually do know what they are talking about.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's no mystery

- more anti-wear additives: oil protects longer
- more detergents: oil can clean longer

Over the past few years, additives have changed. Where for example phosphorus and zinc were used, other less or non-poisonous (to cat/O2 sensor/environment) additves (such as calcium) are increasingly being used, while the ZDDP levels are going down without sacrificing engine protection.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Only a UOA (used oil analysis) can tell you for sure
Old 01-23-2005, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I should get the UOA done within a month
Old 01-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Default Update for you..

If you recall I had that slight oil leak and I was running 10w-30 M1. Well I switched to the dealer stuff 5w-40 Castrol. I still have the oil leak that is unchanged. But now I have no oil consumption. I use to go through about 1.5 quarts of M1 Now, so far I put less then 1 quart in the car. But I also changed the Oil pressure switch and lost about as much as I had to put in so far. So if I had to guess I will have about .5 or less then that of oil consumption within 3k miles which is about 500 miles away. So I guess the oil leak is really slow at about 5-10 water drops a day. Don't worry though at 160k+ I plan to change a lot of gaskets this summer.

Also I used the dealer 5w-40 this time but at $10 a bottle I mise well order something I like off the net. So I am ordering 5w-40 Redline. Does that sound ok or should I keep with the Castrole, or go with the M1 5w-40. Just asking for you're opinion thanks.

Thanks, Thomas
Old 01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'd be curious to see what percentage of the market M1 gets, compaired to other oils...

Anyone on the Oil Forum able to provide such numbers?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Castrol 5W-40 at the dealer

... should be about $6 per quart. I heard they lowered the price from over $10 per quart. I'm glad this oil has stopped your oil consumption, but I wouldn't pay more than $6 for that oil. For a little more you can get Red Line 5W-40, which is a killer oil. Some AutoZone stores carry Red Line now! You may also consider Amsoil 5W-40.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's what I was told:

Roughly 14% of the American motor oil market is synthetic motor oil. Of that, Mobil 1 is over 60%, between 63-66%. That's based on a Mobil 1 press release in '04 on the 30th Anniversary of Mobil 1. The percentages are based on a quart and not on a dollar share.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: HDEO's can usually be run easily 10k miles in gassers

Check out this sit to see what I'am talking about
http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=649&amp;relatedbookgr oup=OilAnalysis

I'am publishing an updated version of this using higher temps for group III and IV and V oils
Old 01-23-2005, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nothing new there

I really don't care about Group I and Group II oils, because I don't use them. Dino 5W-30 is probably the worst oil with the highest amount of VIIs. Shears and leaves sludge.

I don't see how this is an issue for our engines? We are supposed to use VW 500.00 (or the newer VW 502.00) spec oil, which requires and HTHS of 3.5 or higher. Any A3-rated oil will work as long as the viscosity is within the allowed range. VW 502.00 is based on ACAE A3.

Oxidation and nitration are only two aspects of engine lubrication and more of an issue with extended drain oils. Oil with a TBN of 10 should allow any mechanically sound engine, diesel or gasser, an OCI of at least 10k miles.

Quick Reply: Mobil is changing their lineup