My roommate borrowed my car and put regular instead of premium gas in there. Can I just put...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My roommate borrowed my car and put regular instead of premium gas in there. Can I just put...

octane booster in the car and call it good? I had just under half a tank and he put about 4 gallons in. I got VP Octane Power Boost because it had the highest increase of 6 points. Can I just fill it up the rest of the way with premium? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I hightly doubt you would have any problem with a full talk of regular gas.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just top it off with Premium and finish the tank

The only effect of the slightly lower octane is bad fuel mileage. I'm at sea level, and even 87 octane didn't make my car ping. I wouldn't waste money on octane booster. It might foul your plugs.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Just top it off with Premium and finish the tank

Yeah the bottle says it might cause damage to O2 sensors and cats. So I was reluctant to use it. Glad I asked you guys first. How does the booster foul up your plugs?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some of the additives in octane booster and fuel system cleaner...

can leave ash behind on the plugs. I've experienced that first-hand. Someone correct me please, but I think ash is usually due to metallic additves.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:13 PM

So fuel system cleaner acutally clogs your system?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not at all!

All those fuel system cleaners are strong solvents, they don't clog anything, and they do clean as promised, at least more or less. But when small quantities combust, you may get residue from the cleaner's additives on the plugs. I would recommend using a fuel system or injector cleaner two tanks before an oil change. Changing the plugs doesn't hurt either, but is not necessary. You may run into problems if you use too many fuel additives.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default howcome everyone gets so worried when you put regular in the car?

I thought as long as its unleaded there is no difference. I know premium is filtered better but I didnt think to that extent. When I've been dumb enough to drive home with the gas icon on my dash I have used regular gas that I keep in tanks for my lawnmowers and other gas powered tools to fill up my tank. I dont notice any difference at all. Is the 2 times a year you put regular in your car that big a deal?

PS: I dont mean I'm right, I myself dont know. There should have been some more question marks in there.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As long as the engine doesn't start pinging....

the ECU is compensating for lower octane fuel. If the ECU can't compensate anymore (at high temperatures, at high load), pinging will occur and engine damage can result eventually. 87 octane fuel hasn't caused a problem in my car when I used it a few times (they were out of Premium), but gas mileage went down, so there was no savings at all. I do believe in using quality 91 octane gas (not Ray's) in our motors.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Why two tanks before the oil change?

Sorry about all the questions, I really appreciate how grateful all of you are with your vast ammount of knowledge. Even though it's off topic; Mance enjoy a nice beer tonight, I'd never try to bash you or your knowledge

Quick Reply: My roommate borrowed my car and put regular instead of premium gas in there. Can I just put...