Noisy Tappets - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Tappets - need help!

Would appreciate help/suggestions on my noisy tappets! The car's an UK Audi 80 (ABC 2.6), and on about 120k miles it started to make a very noisy t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t noise, sometimes just on start-up, sometimes all the time. I had the oil check valves changed, which fixed it for a while, but the noise came back on start-up, and then a few months afterwards a con-rod came through the side of the case. Ouch.

Have a replacement engine (with 60k on the clock) fitted, and guess what - it's making the same noise again (on start-up only at the moment, but who knows what's to follow). I've just bought the replacement check valves again, and will fit them at the weekend, but I have to ask - is there something that both engines have shared in common that could have caused this? I didn't fit the replacement engine, but I guess that the mechanic who did would have transferred all the ancillaries over from the blown engine.

I'm using Quantum 15/40 multigrade, and I change oil every 5k miles (always with a new Audi oil filter). The oil pressure is good (off the clock on start-up; off the clock over 2k rpm hot and down to either 3 or just under two bar on idle when hot, depending on its mood!).

Oh yeah, out of interest, the replacement engine doesn't have an oil cooler - it looks like it left the factory that way, but I've never heard of a 12v engine without one before!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, a discusion of late has been WHICH oil to use....

something that might be the same from the last engine is the oil you're using. Try a different weight. My lifters are really noisey too. I have been using Fram Oil filters out of habit. I have been informed that these are POTs (pieces of trash) and to use Mobile 1 filters. I also just bought some Mobile 1 "trucks & SUVs" 5w40 synthetic oil today. I'll will certainly post on the affects of it.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Audi tells us........

the valve tappets are allowed to make noise!

As long as they are quiet by the time the engine reachs operating temperature, and no noise above 2000rpms.

The only "real" solution is to change them! BTDT! ;O)
Old 02-16-2004, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Factory Audi tells us........

The really loud t-t-t-t-t noise goes as soon as oil pressure has built up, but occasionally there's a quieter tappet noise on idle when hot (sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't - depends what mood it's in!).

Does changing tappets = cambelt off?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Re: changing tappets = cambelt off & camshafts out.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: well, a discusion of late has been WHICH oil to use....

Happy to try and different weight of oil (does anyone know what Audi recommends?) - any views as to what's best for the UK?

Out of interest, I originally used MAN filters, but changed to Audi filters when I was told that only Audi filters have a return valve in them - anyone else heard this?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mann is one manufacturer that Audi used OEM. I use the Mann filters, too, and they have the check

valve. You want to watch out for "cheap" filters such as Fram. I heard Bosch and one other manufacturer are also OK to use.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think i read about this in UK Audi Driver magazine?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:19 AM

Default Re: I think i read about this in UK Audi Driver magazine?

Yes you did! The engine has become a little noisier on idle since I wrote the article, and as I've decided to dive in and change the check valves, I thought I'd see if anyone else had suggestions of things to change whilst I'm in there!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

M1 5w-40 SUV is a great choice, relabeled Delvac-1.Castrol Syntec 5w-40 available at dealer, VW spec

Quick Reply: Noisy Tappets - need help!