Noobee with possible headgasket oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noobee with possible headgasket oil leak

Hi Guys, I'm normally on the C4-100/A6 forum with my new-to-me '95 A6 Wagon. But, thought this would be a better forum for the engine oil leak question.

I've read a bit in the archives about the potential for headgasket oil leaks, but wanted to run a couple questions past you.

Bit of history: Bought the car about a month ago, 175k on the clock. Plenty of oil leaks and alot of built up grime everywhere. Got the engine all cleaned up, top to bottom, and found the rigth valve cover and cam plug were leaking bad. Replacing them cured that upper leak. Then went after the front crank seal leak which was huge. Replaced that last Wednesday and cleaned the lower areas of the engine again. The car just got back from a 500mi trip and still no leaking from the front crank seal or valve cover.

There is still a leak that is coming down about mid-alternator, and running down the side of the oil pan.

I've looked with a super bright flashlight and mechanic's mirror. It doesn't appear to be a valley pan gasket leak. That whole middle area of the engine looks fine. There does seem to be sort of a weaping at the head gasket seem which I'm going to clean, go drive and then recheck.

Anyway, my question is; does this sound like an oil leak from the head gasket? Where is the oil pressure galley located in relation to the side of the block? I'm not really interested in re-torquing because that always leads to broken fire rings and a real blown head gasket.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noobee with possible headgasket oil leak

Have a look on this link. About two thirds of the way down on the left is a schematic of the oil path.
The oil feed to the heads is towards the back facing to the inside.<ul><li><a href="http://www.12v.org/engine/index.php?section=hw&amp;sm=oil">Engine lubrication</a></li></ul>
Old 07-30-2006, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks! Looky, looky....

The pressure relief valve is sitting right next to the alternator. Mmmm...wonder if the metal crush washer is leaking just under that bolt.

Time for more spray carb cleaner, test driving, and flashlight/mirror inspection.

Oh how I'd love it NOT to be the head gasket.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Update...

Okay, pulled off the accessory belt, belt tensioner and both timing belt covers.

Used a couple cans of spray carb cleaner and compressed air to clean the seams where the head gaskets are visible, and the oily area down low on the right, and up in the valley below the intake manifold.

Fired the engine up and let it run for about a half hour...

After about 10min I could see what looked like oil appearing from the area at the top of the oil pump housing. Basically, it's coming from directy behind the t-belt tensioner.

The head gasket areas stayed dry and clean. I don't see anything down in the valley that might be welling up and running out the front of the block...but it's also pretty hard to see everything because the P/S pump is still mounted as are the back sides of the t-belt guards.

So at the moment, it looks like the gasket between the oil pump housing the front of the block might be leaking pretty good. I've got the AFC engine, so there's no external pressure regulator bolt hanging down near the alternator.

Could I get some more opinions? Is this a common leak source? Or is there another source that just happens to run down this right side area of the oil pump housing? Is the oil pump also bolted on from inside the upper oil pan?