Oil consumption is now steady at 0.6 qt/1k mi

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M1 0W-40?

I don't think there's M1 10W-40 (Mobil DC is not M1) ;-)

Anyway, assuming it's the valley pan gasket (or headgasket!), you should be able to see oil pooling between the heads if you take a good look under the intake manifold. It's easy if you remove the vacuum reservoir near the ignition coils. With the ball removed, you can get a decent view, and you can even see a little of the valley pan cover.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default 10w-30 I think!

Its been a long day Yeah I can see oil down there I have looked in there and seen it I mean. Its not consuming to much oil. Probably 1.5quarts every 3k if that. But the oil is very dark. on the dip stick after about 1500miles. It goes from teh clear golden M1 color to a brownsih gold it looks like. I had the oil pan off to replace that gasket a month or so ago and everything looked clean in there. Or is it normal for it to go from the original color to a darker color.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oil usually gets darker

It can happen very fast or ver slowly. It only means the oil keeps filth in suspension, which is quite normal. Just because the oil is dark doesn't necessarily mean it's shot. If you change the filter without changing the oil, the oil will look a lot lighter. If you have changed from mineral oil to synthtic, the synthetic may be cleaning out some gunk that the mineral oil has left behind. Thus the oil darkens quickly.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 AM
JWG

Default Oil also gets darker with piston ring wear . . .

As combustion rings wear, they decrease slightly in outer diameter. This causes the gap in the ring to increase and the "blowby" of carbon particles from the combustion chamber to get into the engine oil.

As oil retention rings wear, they just collapse completely, especially on our 12v's. I am getting a custom set of rings from TotalSeal, and the technicians said that the OEM oil rings on our cars did not have much tension, meaning they created less friction but collapsed much sooner allowing oil to migrate more easily to the compression rings and mix more freely with the carbon.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah low tension rings...

So you chose rings with normal tension? How soon will your engine be ready? You've been busy with rebuilding it for a while.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For some reason, I think people get scared when you ask them

what kinda oil they're using lol. Don't wanna upset ya by feeding the beast something you don't like And no I'm not telling ya what kinda oil I use cuz you're gonna yell at me

BTW, since we're on teh subject, what's a good dino oil again for our car? I was toying with switching to the synthetic you rave about, but since I already have an oil leak at my valley pan gasket, I don't wanna aggrevate it by removing the moderate amount of sludge that is keeping it at light to moderate leak instead of a full blown gusher
Old 11-17-2004, 07:22 AM
JWG

Default Normal tension is the plan so far; TotalSeal has one of my pistons among the many dozens . . .

that they do in the off season for racers. The rings are the only things holding my rebuild up presently.

TotalSeal is so busy, that it literally takes them days to get back on every communication. Frustrating to wait on just one part, but who else has such advanced piston ring technology?! I could go with stock stuff, but, when the aftermarket stuff is so much better technologically, why would I not want to take advantage of the improvements when they will help with one of the biggest problems I had on the OEM rings--oil consumption.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Which M1 5w40 are you using?

I looked at the website....is it synthetic?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default I was talking about oil with someone and just got mixed up. Its 10w-30 M1 full syn.

I use it year round.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption is now steady at 0.6 qt/1k mi