oil cooler(heat exchanger) question. It appears that the coolant has been leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler(heat exchanger) question. It appears that the coolant has been leaking...

from the oil cooler/heat exchanger. I inspected the hose and they look fine, do breaks or dry rot. It is possible the clamps have simply loosened a bit and needed retightening.

My concern is the 1,200 mile trip I have coming up soon. If these hoses do not hold up, I may need to make a side of the road repair. This would mean taking the o.c./h.e. out of the cooling system. So would this be an absolute don't do or an acceptable repair to get going? The vehicle does have an oil temp gage, at would temp would it be time to let it cool?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:18 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unlikely the clamps have come loose but entirely possible the hose has lost...

some of its vitality and has taken a set where the clamps are. Couldnt hurt to give each of the clamps a twist to tighten em up. But then you never have to ask about such things. You can always turn in a clamp to see if it cures a leaking, weeping or seeping hose connection. Worst case the leak gets worse, best case it goes away. But "any" hose that has lost its integrity should be replaced summarily, on the spot. It'll NEVER be easier/more convenient!

Some things just arent worth risking. I'd never leave on a 1200 mile tripe headed northeast (I'm assuming MI?) in the dead of winter "knowingly" loosing coolant! And I wouldnt just buy replacement hoses and carry them in the car unless the risk of being abandoned on the side of the road in a blizzard is somehow an appealng inevitability. Tho one thing I KNOW to be true amongst all others, ie; When car troubles occur they neither can nor will "ever" be as convenient as had we fixed/repaired them when we first noticed em.

"ounce of prevention is worth a TON of cure"
Old 01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I removed the hoses and moved the clamps the day I posted this and

it appears that the leaking has stopped. You brought up an excellent point and the hoses will be here Friday. Thank you for your response.

Yes I am heading back to Michigan. It'll be hard leaving Colorado.