Oil Pressure but I don't think oil is making it to the heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure but I don't think oil is making it to the heads

I just finished a head gasket, timing belt and oil check valve(all four) jobs on my 12v last night. I also replaced the cam followers because the engine had a tick on the drivers side. I started the engine and to my surprise it started without any loud bangs. I must of done the timing belt right. The cam followers were all clicking and I thought that would be normal since they are new. I did soak them in oil overnight before putting them in. They did sit in the car for about a week before I started it. I noticed smoke coming from both heads and the clicking noise not going away. So I stopped the engine and looked inside the oil cap on the passenger side. It looks as if I am getting no oil to the heads. I did have good oil pressure while the car was running.

I am thinking now maybe I got the wrong check valves. I order part number OEM part number: 078-103-175-D(valley pan) and OEM part number: 078-103-363-P (head). Are these the right valves for a AAH 1992 engine?

What else would cause no oil to the heads?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

Update - I took the oil filler cap off and watched as the engine was running and I could see the oil moving so I am now thinking maybe my timing was off. I also noticed that it seems to be burning something near the exhaust collector. I am going to do a compression check as soon as the rain clears.

If I bent the valves, my question would be how to set the cams back on the engine after removing them?
I used the tools and everything seemed to line up. I also rotated the engine several times and never felt any problems. The compression check should answer some of these questions.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Compression Test Results

I did a compression test tonight and found that #3 cylinder read about 70. All the other cylinders read from 150 to 170. I took the valve cover off and I was able to push down on the intake valve on that cylinder while the cam lobe was in the up position.

Does anyone ideas as to what happen? I guess my timing was off just enough or maybe the new cam follower caused the problem. I am kinda at a lost as to what happen. Hopefully, I can avoid the problem after I get the valve repaired.

-Warren