Removing sludge with diesel flodding technic, what say u?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OW-30 oil might be too thin for a 12v, unless you live in the frozen north.

You could burn a lot at startup.

I have used 15W-40 Delo for a long time. I have 165k on my A4 and it uses virtually no oil between changes.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's what i was thinking last night, i guess i'll seafoam

directly to the cranck case and change oil with mobil 1 synt.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At what temperature do you believe this 0W-30 in question to be "too thin"?

Every oil gets the thinner the hotter it gets.

There is no such oil that is "too thin" at startup -- any oil, even a 0W-X oil is "thick" when cold. A thinner oil (still not "thin" at low oil temps!) provides better lubrication than does a thicker oil due to less resistance to flow during startup and before reaching operating temperature.

The Castrol oil in question has an HTHS of >3.5, which means this oil meets the high temperature shear resistance requirements mandated by VW/Audi for this engine. This is reflected in this oil's approvals, which include VW 502 and ACEA A3. Other 0W-30 oils, including the US-made Castrol 0W-30, may indeed be "too thin" (HTHS <3.5) at elevated operating temperature.

"GC" 0W-30 may be less than ideal in an older VW/Audi engine, since this oil does not resist blowby (at rings and valve stem seals and guides) very well -- none of the full synthetic oils excels at that! Reducing blowby via an oil that starts out very thick (15W-X, 20W-X etc) is a Band Aid fix, no more.

The challenge is to find an oil that

1. provides optimum lubrication
2. keeps the engine clean
3. minimizes consumption

Depending on engine condition (age/miles, cleanliness, driving conditions, climate), ideal oil choice may vary from a full synthetic Group IV or V to a Group III or to a mixed fleet HDEO.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GAWD I love it when ya do that!! ;-)
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't resist!

It's a slippery topic. :-P
Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Damn that was an awsome technical answer, i wont seafoam then,

i really like this oil and not to be a smart a.. here but i like the fact that it's made in germany and must likely used in many Audis, plus the fact that it's cheaper when on special than Mobil 1, now which one is better do? Mobil 1 or this Castrol syntec? Basically is it on a preffered basis?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Default would doing a seafoam in the vaccum get rid of carbon and the nasty

low insuficient egr code im getting?, the problem in doing this is that my neighbors are old guy's (with out a life) and are on top of everything with the association, i even have to change my oil with the garage door close because they like to check on things, and even do it's my home i cant according to them fix cars on the premisses....what a joke; you know they think they own the place just cause there on the board, "kind of like what happend to morty seinfeld =)=)
Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seafoam or plain water can be used to decarbonize the the combustion chambers

.. by letting the engine suck in small quantities of fluid through, for example, the brake booster hose into the intake manifold. Use the method described on the can, but be aware that this process may (or may not) create a lot of smoke. You might end up fogging an angry neighborhood. I suggest you do this at a friend's house. ;-) Be advised that all the carbon that gets removed goes through the cats and also exposes the O2 sensors to contaminants.

The "low insuficient egr" code that you get is possibly due to a clogged EGR passage. You may have to clean that out manually. The Seafoam treatment won't help there.

<a href="http://www.mnsi.net/~natwhite/audi/egr.html">EGR and intake cleaning</a>

As I previously said, I'm not a fan of adding any solvent, including Seafoam, to the engine oil. If you do add Seafoam to the oil, follow the instructions. Idle the engine for a while, then change the oil and filter. I'm seriously in favor of just using using a decent mixed fleet oil and more frequent oil changes, which will also clean up the engine.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have stopped following the hooplah over "GC" a couple years ago.

"GC" is a very good oil, but I don't believe it's an ideal oil in the 12v, unless your engine is brand new and very clean. GC 0W-30 is probably a better oil than M1 0W-40, which is comparable. The reasons for saying this are based on having seen many used oil analyses involving those two oils. Unlike M1 0W-40, "GC" 0W-30 does not tend to thin out (as much) and holds up better due to its allegedly superior chemistry. "GC" has rabid followers, many of who have formed sort of a cult around "GC." You can find all the info on "GC" there:

<a href="http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643#Post7186 43">The Crazy "GC" Cult</a>

With warmer weather approaching, I suggest you use one of these oils (in no particular) to help clean up your engine:

Shell Rotella T 5W-40
Chevron Delo 400 15W-40
Mobil Delvac 1300 S 15W-40

I would do a couple oil and filter changes over the next 6 months. Then I would evaluate cleanliness of the engine (Have you ever taken the valve covers off?) and oil consumption before deciding on what oil to use from then on.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

does seafoam also foul the plugs?

Quick Reply: Removing sludge with diesel flodding technic, what say u?