Rough Idle/ bad stumble on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's weird as both my 12V's die instantly if the MAF unplugged.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: that's weird as both my 12V's die instantly if the MAF unplugged.

If I touch the connector or unhook it while running ti stalls. If I start it with the maf disconnected it will start and run "normal".
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is strange... you may have a bed connector in there somewhere, get a multimeter.

but if you already ordered one, then ow well, lets hope it will solve the problem...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: that is strange... you may have a bed connector in there somewhere, get a multimeter.

That is kind of what I was thinking for a little while as well. the MAF was cheap so I ordered it. I need to get a pinout of the ECU connector to be able to test the line between the connector and the ECU or something. With touching the connector at the MAF it stalling it seems to me something is bad either in the harness side conenctor (which I took apart and it looked good) or the maf side connector.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

test procedure is on 12v.org
Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: test procedure is on 12v.org

I can't find a MAF procedure. I see if for the O2's and the Coolant Temp Sensor. I will have to look more. Hopefully tomorrow is warm enough I can go out and check things out with the harness/connectors more. I pulled the connector apart the other day but didn't have the picks to get each connector out to look them over. I will at least get the new MAF next week to test with that. I was a hair away from putting this car up for sale last night and buying a 2000 S4 but I think I like the idea of keeping this older one and driving it for a few years instead. Hopefully I can avoid dropping a ton of cash into this car and keep it at a reasonable cost.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Rough Idle/ bad stumble on acceleration

Got the MAF today. Installed it, cleared the codes and went for a ride. Acceleration felt a little better. the idle wasn't perfect but better and this code didn't come back.

I did get the 0161 and 0141 codes again along with 1101 code which is also an o2 sensor code. If it is low voltage codes would that lead to believe it is a bad o2 sensor or bad connections?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I am back again still with issues.

After replacing the MAF sensor things seem a little better. I did confirm the old one was shot and haven't gotten a code back for that.

Last week I started having a bad problem with idle if I sit for like 15+ seconds. The engine just basically stalls, sometimes it fully stalls (mostly) sometimes it justs back up in RPM on its own and will idle fine for 15-30 seconds again and have the same condition this time likely stalling completely. The stall isn't rough really at all, I have infact not even noticed it a few times it has happened if I have the radio on at a reasonable volume. There is no loud noise or violent shaking. Also if I keep my toe on the gas a little it will keep it from stalling, but if it is in the middle of doing it and I push the gas a little it doesn't really make it stop stalling any more than if I leave it be.

I pulled codes again and got 02 codes (0134,1101, 0161 and 0141) and the EGR code (0401) again.

I have read into the EGR issues with these engines and it sounds like they commonly have a wicked case of carbon build up in the EGR tube. I can't seem to find details instructions on how to clean this but is sounds like I can pull the IM and the EGR and clean the ports, the valve and the connectors. I think that one shouldn't be bad to figure out. My question really though is would this EGR problem be a likely cause of this bad idle and stalling? I haven't worked with EGR systems much so I am not really sure if this could be the issue.

I understand the 02's being bad will likely just kill my fuel economy so I need to decide if they are worth dealing with but that is a later issue, unless someone thinks somehow those are causing this issue.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

just replace the O2's and c if that helps. the egr you can remove without taking the intake off, its a pain, but manageable, and most of the stuff gets billed up in the intake, that can be cleaned with a drill bit and some brake cleaner. just dont actually drill the manifold!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I think I will start with the EGR cleaning this weekend and go from there. I would like to avoid the O2's right now as they are pretty dang pricey to replace them all. If I can get the EGR cleaned up and see how things are working there after that I will go from there on the O2's.

Well I guess I will see how things like Friday after work on pulling the whole intake or only the EGR to try and clean all of that up.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle/ bad stumble on acceleration