Rough Idle/ bad stumble on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, seeing as how i had JUST replaced the Idle Air Control Valve that day, I'm assuming they are two different things.

The Idle Air Control Valve from what i understand meters the air that comes through, but its the stabilizer valve that corrects the flow. Or it might simply be a "shut-off/by-pass" valve that allows the engine to switch between vacuum at idle.

So that if you have a sticky stabilizer valve, you get more current pushed to the air control vavle, trying to push up rpms, and push up the other valve downstream. Probably would also explain why a lot of use are flying through these air control valves like they are nothing.

Either way, go get it checked out at audi and have them run a diagnostic on it. I bet you they will say the same (or at least along the same lines).
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JorgenA4
Was the idle stabilizer something that just needed cleaning or was it something that needed replacing?
I went ahead and had them replace it. With the car being a 97, i might as well have the part replaced than cleaned and deal with it again later on.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, i take that back, they meant the flange between the IACV and the Intake manifold.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm... due to my wife having made plans for half the weekend and me spending the other half sorting through spare parts for my truimph and working to get that car bad to running mode for this summer I did not get to look at the audi much.

I did get under the hood and found one of the solenoids on top of the engine was disconnected, I don't know if I did that whne I seafoamed or what but it made no difference. Put the connector back on and nothing changed really.

I also pulled the vac line off the EGR valve and nothing at all changed. I am not sure if there should be vac on that line at idle or not but there was no change at all.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I did an enginer flush before an Oil and filter change last night, removed the ICV and cleaned it up with tb cleaner, pulled the o2 and other random easily accessible connectors and cleaned them out with contact cleaner. The idle was a little rougher this morning but it never tried to stall. I think the ecu is just a little confused by the changes maybe so I might go clear codes at lunch and see how things work. I should have cleared them last nigth but didn't think too much about that.