s2 silicone and VS impressions (incase you haven't read enough already)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2 silicone and VS impressions (incase you haven't read enough already)

We'll I got my s2 silicone and VS on Tuesday afternoon (someone promised Monday but forgot to factor in a holiday, they'll remain nameless ). I'm about to do a 30k service on my car, and planned on doing installing the mods once I had done that..... yeah like that could have happened. I put them in that night.

I have the small bore MAF, so I went to good ol' Home Depot and got a 3" to 2" flexible pipe joint. It's rubber, so it tightened down nicely and everything is secure (going to get a 471A MAF along with all of the fluids etc for my tune up soon). Installation went flawless minus the part where I put a small split in my airbox from *gently* tapping the VS in place. Nothing a little plastic epoxy couldn't seal right back up.

Here's my impressions of the kit:

Mance, I hate you. Everyone always says once you start modding you can't stop. I don't know why I thought that I'd be different. I'm definitely not. I got more projects to send your way pretty soon here.

I honestly didn't have very high expectations for this kit. Nothing against the products, I just didn't think I'd really notice much of an improvement until I put more then a VS and some 3" silicone tubing in there. I was wrong on that too.

After the ECU set it, the car pulls much harder. It doesn't seem to poop out in the 5k plus range like it used to, it just keeps on going. But it didn't just help the top, the lower to mid range in really where I can see the improvement.

I swear that the gas pedal isn't quite as hard to push down anymore either. I just seems to float in a downward motion almost effortlessly, almost like it has a mind of its own .

The improvements could be a figment of my imagination, but I have proof that they aren't. My tranny doesn't down shift so readily anymore (automatics suck btw). Climbing up hills, or even accelerating for that matter, don't stress the engine half as much as they used to. I can easily go up some fairly steep inclines and the car stays >2k rpm. This could probably save me some gas money if it wasn't so much more fun to punch in down all the way.

Getting up to speed on the freeway in much easier. Passing, not a problem. Next on list, 471A bored MAF, and then (fiscally permitting) a TB.

That's my two cents and I'm sticking to it. Thanks Mance.

For Mance:
Since I have a small bore MAF I'm assuming you want nothing to do with it and I'll have to go out and send you a core for the boring process. If I send you one, do I have to put down a deposit? Also, what's your favorite type of beer? Oregon has some really good local breweries and you might be able to find a couple fresh ones in with the MAF core if you're luckey .
Old 07-09-2004, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default he really likes raisins... if you fill the box full of him...

I'd bet he'd do it free of charge =P
Old 07-09-2004, 05:26 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no use for the smallbore TB, no deposit required if I have yours and Redhook ESB is fine ;-)
Old 07-09-2004, 08:43 AM

Nice shout out for the Redhook ESB! First brewed in my neighborhood of Ballard here in Seattle
Old 07-09-2004, 12:16 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default always start out my Friday Happy Hour with a shot of Makers Mark and a Redhook ESB

tho if I can find a bar with Pilsner Urquell on tap (VERY rare) I'll opt for it and MM instead.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

BLARGH!! I'd rather eat a whole baby than a whole raisin!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Urquell has gotten pretty popular around these parts. Many a bar has it on tap. I'm a fan myself

I'm also partial to Maker's, but in the last couple years have started to enjoy **** Creek quite a bit.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:55 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default **** Creek when "neat" still has an edgey bite to it that I can't get around. But mixed...

with Vernors or branch water is pretty good. Blantons is perfect but like Pilsner Urquell around here very rare in all but the most upscale bars.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Baby. The OTHER other white meat.

Don't get me wrong, I like children, I just can't eat a whole one.