So my car sounds like a tractor

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my car sounds like a tractor

When the car is idling I can hear a slightly irregular, rumbling clattering noise. It's been going for a long time (maybe the past 30k mi), but it's getting louder. It's just a noise thing, performance is basically the same as when the car was new.

The noise was already there when I had the TB, waterpump, and some rollers replaced at 83k mi. The noise got a bit better after that, but now (124k mi) it's getting pretty loud.
I read all the time that people have problems with the camshaft tensioners and seals (the engine leaks oil in various spots, so it's hard to tell where it's really coming from).

Could this noise-problem be camshaft-tensioner related? If not, what else could it be? I don't think it's the water pump, but I'm not sure. My mechanic has always said he could hear the clatter, but he also said he'd have to tear the whole engine down to find out what's causing it.

Any ideas what (and how) to check before I go back to the shop?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:51 AM
JWG

Default From where does the "tractor" sound come and can you do to better explain the sound?

tractors can sound like a lot of things; when you say tractor sound, I immediately think of the loud distinct exhaust pulses coming from three or four huge cylinders on a torquey diesel engine with a short lightly-muffled exhaust system. Do you have an exhaust leak?

It may be something your valve train: a hydraulic lifter or valve problem. Taking off the plastic valve covers takes only ten minutes max. Do that, and you can visually inspect the cams and the hydralic lifters for irregular wear.

However, you really need to get your ear under the hood and try to pin point the source of the sound if you think its coming from the engine.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Elder Member

Default I'll place my bet on the waterpump

Same story here....did mine at 83K miles, apparently at 115K miles, its gone bad.

Irregular clattering at idle, no performance loss.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/577.phtml">My deepest sympathy </a></li></ul>
Old 03-30-2003, 07:16 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Find a mechanic with a stethoscope or long-handled screwdriver to isolate...

the noise source. No one should have to "tear an engine down" to pinpoint origin. Anyone with a long (18" or so) screwdriver can place the point at various spots on the engine and the handle against their ear while car is idling and determine source. If listening for water pump be sure to go "deep" and don't touch anything power steering related as they tend to sound similar.

From your description I'm going with water pump also. I had one go bad and make that kind of noise with only 300 miles on it. I wanted it to be the power steering pump so bad as they're easy. No such luck. Had to do another water pump. Pump was free due to warranty but labor is a PITA to do again so soon. Therein lies the only known fault with DIY repairs... "bad parts." Hit Sappens!

Story of my life: "I do em nice cuz I do em twice."
Old 03-30-2003, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Front/upper third of motor

It's definitely not an exhaust leak. It's a mechanical clatter, which is slightly irregular. So maybe it's a shot bearing.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt it, and I'll tell you why:

I had that noise before and after I got the WP replaced.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm

That's the thing, my mechanic is pretty much deaf, and I'm not sure I'll be able to tell what exactly I'm hearing. I guess I'll try to get as close as possible to the location of that noise, then take it to the shop.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:24 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's not important that you know exactly what you're hearing. Just the point from which the sound...

eminates loudest. Example; if the sound is loudest coming from the water pump housing chances are it's not a lifter. Or if it's loudest at the power steering pump it's probably not the water pump. You'll be staggered at the efficacy of a simple screwdriver placed against your ear. It's an incredible diagnostic tool!
Old 03-30-2003, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll try to track it down
Old 03-31-2003, 04:05 AM
Elder Member

could be a lifter then, or maybe a piston ring?

Quick Reply: So my car sounds like a tractor