Stalling out at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling out at idle

Alright this has been a problem in my car since i put in UrS4's MAF at the beginning of the summer. But now it just started to get worse and it threw a CEL.

So here's what happens, if you let the car idle for about a minute and a half it will stall out and die. I do not mean sputter and just slowly die, I mean it just bogs down and cuts out. I checked the injectors and those are fine, plugs are good, and the car idles fine until it stalls. I don't want to take my car to the stealership until I know what the problem is. My local dealership is known to rape you with bad pricing, and fixing things that aren't required. All I have on the car is an LLTEK cold air intake, K&N cone filter, and UrS4's S3 MAF.

I took the car to my friend's house, he something similar to a VAG-COM but its for fords. It still can bring up codes, and read the banks. Both banks 1 and 2 are lean....18% even on BOTH sides. That's crazy lean, and the computer shouldn't have to be adjusting that much, i think we have a serious problem here, but i'm outta ideas....

Anyone know what to do?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
eep
AudiWorld Member

Oxygen sensors?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Oxygen sensors?

hmmm that could be it...but i was leaning towards the fuel pump, or the fuel pressure regulator...does UrS4 know of anything? I mean the stalling has been happening since i put his MAF into my car, not the blame it on him, but I just want to go over every possibility.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:28 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would agree with sensors and which o-ring are you running?

Hard for me to be up to speed as when someone buys something and I don't hear from them for months and months I assume everything is working fine. I don't know of anyone who owns an S3 MAF thats experienced your stalling issue and I'm sure if they're out there they'll respond. Those that did experience lean codes were all fixed with the correct o-ring or after installing new sensors. High mileage sensors are the most common theme for lean codes. And even moreso if they're generic/spliced.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: I would agree with sensors and which o-ring are you running?

that's great can i have a part number, and where i can purchase a new O-ring...i'll try this first.

Anyother thing is that i have a cone filter type intake right before the MAF...could this be making the MAF sensor read bad and make both banks put 18% more in....it just doesn't make sense.

Also, explain to me what an O-ring is.

PS, the MAF has worked great performance wise, and I couldn't believe that something so realtivly cheap could give such a great power boost.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default all of my S3 MAF's ship with an o-ring kit included. It would've been in with your MAF

and contain 4 sizes of o-rings. There is no part number to them as I buy them in bulk and they're all metric o-rings. What email name w/Paypal did you buy this MAF from me under and I'll check records and see which o-ring kit was included with your MAF.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Elder Member

I never got o-rings with mine mance, are they a need and will they make a difference?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: all of my S3 MAF's ship with an o-ring kit included. It would've been in with your MAF

my email was either matarganof@hotmail.com or AudiSport28Q@hotmail.com

either one, but nothing came with my MAF other then the MAF itself. I just put it on there w/out any rings, I didn't see anything else in the box.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:46 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default I should've said "all since February have gotten them"

everyone who did't receive them with earlier MAFs were invited to send me a SASE to receive them for free. And as most everyone here knows that was a high-profile and oft-repeated post and it still applies today.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default can't find a record of either name/address. Email me your first and last name and I'll look it up...

then I'll email you my address and you can send a SASE and I'll mail them out to you upon receipt.

Quick Reply: Stalling out at idle