STB vs TB

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STB vs TB

Does anyone have photos of the STB vs a "normal" TB?

it looks like VAP posted them here (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...p?t=2593606#17) but all his photos are gone.

I have two TB's that are a little different but I would like to see the official difference.

thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grillage
Does anyone have photos of the STB vs a "normal" TB?

it looks like VAP posted them here (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...p?t=2593606#17) but all his photos are gone.

I have two TB's that are a little different but I would like to see the official difference.

thanks
post pics of both T.B's I can give you my oppinion.

Here is my STB, however..there was a bit of extra work done on it as VAP did not make his shipping deadline so he did some extra work for me for free, 1 stand up dude.

also have this pic, it is not mine nor do I know what version of TB it is.

here are a few stock TB's that I sold to AW/QW members to have converted...

Last edited by Luxus Panzer; 01-09-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To clarify, I am looking to find out what makes a stock TB an "S".

Here are photos of my new TB - gotten for $25 on ebay. There was no real indication as to what sort of 12v it came from.

The other TB is currently attached to my 93 90 Quattro. The new one came from an auto transmission so it had the WOT switch on it. Also, the old TB didn't have the aluminum shield on the bottom end. I got the new one because my current TB has a bad TPS.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is all about how close the 2 bore holes are on the "flat/exhaust" side of the T.B.

I can't fins the picture of the stock "S" TB that came on 12v station wagons, but your pic looks close, but I can not be sure.

I have a bad back so I can't get down my parts totes to get you a pic of a NON "S" stock T.B. to compair, sorry.

I am sure the GOD of 12v TB work will chime in soon.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I decided to take my old TB off to compare (and to switch it out and find out if my TPS was what was causing the CEL's.

The new is on the left, old on the right.

You'll notice a couple differences:
Firstly, the addition of the Aluminum shield on the new model on the bottom of the TB assy. Also the upgraded throttle cable holder. I was a little suprised to notice the posts that hold the plastic washer things are shorter on the new too.

Next here are the back sides...

Old:

and New:

The space between the two holes is smaller on the "new" TB by about a mm but the butterfly valves are the exact same size, so is there really an advantage here? What is weird is that the big openings are both 52mm, while the small openings are slightly different. The old TB has a round 35mm opening while the new TB has an opening that is slightly oblong. 35mm tall and 36mm wide. What is further strange is that there appears to be 1mm shaved from the division (on the left side of the new TB) down until where the butterfly valve closes. there is a slight 1mm step in to where the valve hits the wall. You can see it in this photo just below the "8"...

now to install the new TB and hopefully no more CEL from the closed TPS sensor!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OEM newer "S" T/B vs older T/B...

I have a theory that the newer one has that oblong small bore on the backside of that butterfly, instead of the bevel on one side of the front-side edge of the small butterfly itself on the older version, because it was cheaper to make it this way. I suspect they function similarly. Programing the oblong bore offset vs. beveling the butterfly probably saves steps and time.

It's just a theory though. I think what either of these features do is quicken the throttle's opening/closing when it is just opening or just closing.

I have both and can't tell the difference when driven.