For those of you who know my current plight...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you who know my current plight...

The stealership said that my oil/water problem could be caused by the oil cooler also. What are the odds of this?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is possible,

Coolant does run through the oil cooler/filter housing. I am not sure how likely this is though.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default when that happens there's ALWAYS cross-contamination, ie; water in oil & oil in water

and while they dont have as high a failure rate as head gaskets they do fail. But all I've ever seen had gobs of oil in coolant as well as valve cover internals that look like yours.

Secondly when that happens there's usually more oil in coolant resevoir than there is water in the engine. The reason is simple, ie; oil pressures are dramatically higher (near 60-70 when cold) compared with water which hovers near 11/12 psi at normal operating temperature. That mean oil over-powers the water and forces its way into the coolant system.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

how did you get so smart? ; - )
Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you checked the spark plugs for fouling yet?

Coolant in the combustion chamber should leave something behind on the spark plugs.

A used oil analysis to confirm coolant in the oil seems an inexpensive solution at ca $20.

I don't buy the condensation theory that a few more people have suggested by now, but I lack first-hand experience, as I've never taken off a valve cover during the winter or in very cold weather.

Generally I'd expect to find orange-colored goo in the coolant, if there is a headgasket leak.

Again, good luck and let us know.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will check after work...

I got a quote from the best Audi mechanic in town today. He quoted me 700-800 bucks for the install. He said he is reluctant to just change it though. He is going to check my fluids for contamination and run a hydrocarbon test in my coolant. He said they can get me in Wednesday. I'm slighly releaved now.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good, those tests should be revealing!
Old 12-20-2004, 02:52 PM
JWG

Default Possible, but most of the time, the higher pressure system leaks into the lower pressure system . .

Thus, the oil (under higher pressure) would normally seep into the coolant (under lower pressure). I had this problem once. I fixed it by tightening down the head bolts; however, I had a normal condition where I found more oil in the coolant.

You appear to have a strange leak where a substantial amount of coolant is seeping into the oil system in a manner that the oil has greater difficulty seeping into the coolant. Perhaps coolant leaking into a lower-pressurized oil return galley?!

I had a pretty interesting head gasket failure where, the coolant went directly into the combustion chamber on the downward strokes, and air/fuel and carbon exhaust went directly into my coolant on the upward strokes. Virtually no oil in the coolant. Thus, you can sometimes have unique head gasket failures that result in interesting situations. In my case the car ran okay at first, exhibited steam from the muffler, then went into hydrolock (when the coolant flowed in sufficient volumes to prevent the piston from compressing water).
Old 12-20-2004, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I notice you had a crack in the valve cover, near the oil cap...

maybe some water got in? Doesn't explain your oil loss though.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good catch!

Now that you mention it I see that small crack. I'm not sure if that changes anything, but I'm surprised that oily fumes didn't blow through that crack. Or maybe the valve cover is made with two layers?

Quick Reply: For those of you who know my current plight...