Throttle body to evap purge valve hose...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body to evap purge valve hose...

Is impossible to get back on. I believe it goes to the evap purge valve...looking towards the rear of the car, it's the black one that comes off the throttle body on the left side and heads left to a small valve up behind the MAF tube. I pulled my throttle body to clean it out and I swear I cannot get this damn hose back on. I've mangled my hand and frightened the neighbors with my cursing in trying.

Any tips or suggestions?

If I were to, say, replace the entire hose (which is 3/8" on one side and smaller on the other, I know), how the hell do I get it off the purge valve side? I have never seen those type of hose locks before, and I'm worried about attacking them too hard with a wrench and crushing whatever (plastic?) input port is inside.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just had that hose off at the TB side

The brass hose barb on the TB is a bit flared, so getting the hose back on requires some force, or rather willpower. It took relentless, constant pushing for maybe 20 seconds to get the hose back over the barb. You just have to ignore the pain, and willpower will triumph! ;-)

You could lube the hose barb with a tiny amount of engine oil. You could also warm up the tube with a hair dryer, or stick it into hot water to make it more pliable.

Off the top of my head I don't know what kind of connector is on the purge valve end. Something crimped, I suppose?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I cut 4 small slits around the diameter of the hose...

to allow it to get started, then get out the elbow grease and PUSH! I put a zip tie around it when finished just to be sure it stayed put.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I cut 4 small slits around the diameter of the hose...

Thanks guys, will try again with more determination and manliness.

I too had to just cut it to get it off in the first place. And when I was fiddling with it I managed to snap one of the breather tubes! Heater hose replacements are in order.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think what happens is that this is a good ol-fashioned plain...

...rubber hose and it gets heat damaged over time. It becomes "moulded" to the brass hose-barb shape due to heat transfer from the T/B and eventually gets hard and brittle just where it contacts the barb.

Mine had a nice smooth-bore hose clamp (OEM?) installed. The hose was hard to re-install, but more importantly, it was also loose once in position.

I used rubber-friendly soap to lube the install. Fearing it would not seal well (and result in a possible un-metered air leak) even with the clamp, there was enough slack in it's length that I was able to cut the hardened end off and re-install with the nice clamp.

I liked Mance's idea to down-size the hose &amp; replace it using vacuum hose that is also more heat resistant.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/72417.phtml">Mance's Evap Can Purge Line Mod...</a></li></ul>
Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I forgot to mention

I cut off the mangled end of the hose, which was otherwise in good shape. I had also replaced the original crimp type clamp with a s crew type hose clamp a couple years ago. A screw type hose clamp does more damage to the hose than does a crimp type clamp, but I don't have the required too for installing the latter kind.

Without cutting off the compressed end, I imagine getting the hose back on would have been more difficult.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default at one time I had probably 30 of those hoses from various cars, ie; B4/B5/C4/Cabs et al...

just from throttle bodies I was removing from cars to have as cores for XTB conversion and there's a common thread among ALL of them. If the end is cut off they are all much, Much, MUCH harder to slip back over the throttle body nipple than if the end is left in place and munched up. I believe that hose when new has a larger formed end that attaches to the TB nipple that when cut off due to heat-shrinkage the ID behind it is 1.5-2mm smaller diameter than when the hose was purchased or installed originally. And because that rubber is "reinforced" and has shrunk, hardened and lost virtually ALL its elasticity and compliance it's damn-near impossible to get back over the TB hose barb even with heat from a torch, boiling water, oil, silicone grease et al. It's like slipping a 1" ID steel tube over a 1.25" OD steel rod! I've had FAR better luck getting em back on when the factory end was intact tho ragged, frayed and buggered up.

I've literally sheared the nail bed from under my thumbnails pushing that hose so damn hard trying to get it back on that TB nipple. Doing that is not so bad today but hurts like hell tomorrow!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not enough meat!

There wasn't enough meat left on the end of that hose after I pulled it off the barb. I guess, tightening the clamp once a year for several years did that. Now, I'm the first to admit that shoving the freshly cut off hose back over that nipple wasn't easy. I could have needed some obstetrics lube there. :-P

By the way, with the car now being 12.5 years old, I doubt this is the original hose.